Using Daz's HD Features

Discussions about general topics of interest, like lighting, material customization and so one
Living3D

Using Daz's HD Features

Postby Living3D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm

how does one check for proper subD levels when using these Daz Hd morphs in Reality?

and are the HD effects only achieved by the morphs meaning that it's ok to use different skin textures with the Hd models?

thanx

Living3D

Re: Using Daz's HD Features

Postby Living3D » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm

so I did a bit of looking around and came across this point over on the Daz forum which helps

1. The viewport Sub-D level is the one used for exports, to include Luxus, Reality and Octane, so if you want to see the full effect of HD Morphs in those you have to increase your Viewport Sub-D level before using those for rendering.

what are the subD settings in Reality for?

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Luxrender is using a simple loop algorithm for subdivision and this is basically unfit for use on characters. You can still use it together with displacement for objects or for example on hair.

You are correct that Reality (and other third-party plugins) exports from the DS view port. For any newer DAZ characters you should use the DS Pixar subdivision (Catmark), which you can set under the character's Mesh Resolution setting. The one controlling the actual subdivision is Mesh Resolution -> Subdivision Level.

Normally this can be set at 2, but note that to get the full impact of built-in HD morphs you will need to set it to 3. Since this could slow-down scene update in your viewport, you might consider only setting this parameter right before starting your final render.

The other parameter under Mesh Resolution called "Render SubD Level (Minimum)" sets the subdivision level at render time, but unfortunately this only works for the internal DS render engines and has no effect for Reality/Luxrender.
/Sigstan

Living3D

Postby Living3D » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 pm

thanks for the info Sigstan :!:

am wondering why you mentioned this

"Luxrender is using a simple loop algorithm for subdivision and this is basically unfit for use on characters. You can still use it together with displacement for objects or for example on hair"

was that an answer to me asking why there are subD settings in Reality?

chagadiel

Postby chagadiel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

HI
i use the subdivision in daz i have it set at either 1 or 2 while working on it. then when every thing is ready the last thing is change it to three if its characters with muscularity and some HD Morphs but 4 if the hd morphs have skin detail. 5 is best but that messes with my pc and i have 32 gig memory so 4 is absolutely fine and looks amazingly detailed in reality

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Living3D wrote:thanks for the info Sigstan :!:

am wondering why you mentioned this

"Luxrender is using a simple loop algorithm for subdivision and this is basically unfit for use on characters. You can still use it together with displacement for objects or for example on hair"

was that an answer to me asking why there are subD settings in Reality?

Sorry I missed your question. Yes, that was an answer to why Reality has SubD settings.
/Sigstan

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm

chagadiel wrote:HI
i use the subdivision in daz i have it set at either 1 or 2 while working on it. then when every thing is ready the last thing is change it to three if its characters with muscularity and some HD Morphs but 4 if the hd morphs have skin detail. 5 is best but that messes with my pc and i have 32 gig memory so 4 is absolutely fine and looks amazingly detailed in reality

I believe the HD morphs are capped at 3 in DAZ products, although that might have changed in newer product lines. I'm not really buying a lot of new stuff anymore.

Skin detail might benefit from higher SubD, but as you say it requires a lot of RAM.
/Sigstan

DeviantShade

Postby DeviantShade » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I usually only use subdiv 3 for close-ups, subdiv 2 for everything else. If I need finer details, I'll use a normal map.
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:19 pm

DeviantShade wrote:I usually only use subdiv 3 for close-ups, subdiv 2 for everything else. If I need finer details, I'll use a normal map.

yeah, that is what I do also.
/Sigstan

Return to “General”