Daz Studio vs Reality IBL rendering

Discussions about general topics of interest, like lighting, material customization and so one
KrollMoll

Daz Studio vs Reality IBL rendering

Postby KrollMoll » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:10 am

Hi everibody,

Why DAZ and Reality doesn't give the same render when using a single IBL light (with all standard options)
Attachments
Reality render.png
Reality render.png (156.37 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Daz render.png
Daz render.png (173.05 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Daz Studio vs Reality IBL rendering

Postby pciccone » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm

That is the key of using a another renderer. If two renderers reacted in the same way they would be the same exact program. So, in this case it's entirely likely that LuxRender gives the more accurate image.
--
Paolo

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:24 pm

For a start the exposure settings are different between the "Defaults". Not all IBL's are created equal with their GAMMA settings so one renderer may prefer a different gamma to another. Not only that but there are numerous modes to Reality/Lux such as Accelerated etc which will give you differences in render output also (same with Daz as 3Delight will be different to Iray).

Between all the above options you will never get 2 identical renders out of the renderers as like Paolo said if they reacted the same way they would be the same exact program.

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 pm

I think the issue has nothing to do with either lighting or IBLs.

It is actually an example of the geometry issue that Rivaliant has recently raised in another thread (it was also raised years ago in the old forum). I'm pretty sure that the scene will display correctly, if the cube primitive in the scene is created with "Create New Primitive" -> Cube -> Options -> Divisions set to 2 instead of default 1.

This increases the number of faces, but seems to allow Reality to perform a correct export, which is not the case for the default version. This issue was introduced with the Reality 4 version and was not present in Reality 2.

But feel free to try it out, KrollMoll and let us know the result.
/Sigstan

Rivaliant

Postby Rivaliant » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:07 pm

yea if you turn the camera to where the cube is facing more to the right of the camera, you lose the face all together to the black 'error' the missing normals which is the angle you're presented with here

If you turn the camera or cube for that right most face to face the camera, you'll get a better look at the missing normals

KrollMoll

Postby KrollMoll » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am

Hi Sigstan,

Yes you are right...
I did diffeent test render with cubes with respectively 1, 2, 5 and 10 subdivisions and except for the first one, the "black" face disappears.
But there is still a kind of different ghost light for each different subdivision?
Attachments
Cube 1.png
Div 1
Cube 2.png
Div 2
Cube 5.png
Div 5
Cube 10.png
Div10

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm

KrollMoll wrote:Yes you are right...
I did diffeent test render with cubes with respectively 1, 2, 5 and 10 subdivisions and except for the first one, the "black" face disappears.
But there is still a kind of different ghost light for each different subdivision?

Yeah, I hadn't actually noticed. The higher subdivision, the more correct normals and therefore less distortion.
/Sigstan

Rivaliant

Postby Rivaliant » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:08 pm

KrollMoll wrote:Hi Sigstan,

Yes you are right...

what you're seeing is the subdivision segments curling the edge of the face
a kind of edge looping...thing

you can try this
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=927
in this thread here i made has a solutions to the problem

Return to “General”