Genesis 8

Discussions about general topics of interest, like lighting, material customization and so one
Gederix

Genesis 8

Postby Gederix » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:22 am

So Daz released genesis 8 this morning, which requires the latest 4.9.4 daz version.
I am still on daz 4.8 so was wondering if anyone is using 4.9.4 and how well the new figure plays with reality.
Ive read things about the new dazconnect and weird things about the way it handles materials, been very leery of upgrading. But I guess I may have to eventually if I want access to all the new toys...

DeviantShade

Re: Genesis 8

Postby DeviantShade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm

A first look at Gen 8 Female, here's the summary:
- The figure no longer loads in a T-pose (this affects legacy poses, animations etc)
- The expressions are now 'HD', facial creases and wrinkles can be seen for added realism
- It uses the same Material groups and UV as Gen3 and is supposed to be "backwards-compatible"
- There are no existing Reality Presets for this figure yet, so everything needs to be configured from scratch. (or until Paolo releases a Preset)
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

PlatnumK

Postby PlatnumK » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Testing G8 at the moment, so far it doesn't play well with Reality's Skin Material

DeviantShade

Postby DeviantShade » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I haven't had a chance to play with G8 yet. If anyone has had the chance to try her out in Reality, please post the results here. Much Appreciated. :)
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:57 am

I bit the bullet and bought the basic V8 and the required morphs. Still playing with auto-fit (it doesn't, not like it should), and morphs. G3F skins do fit, and fit perfectly, but so far, they look hideous. Just because they fit doesn't mean they work. Haven't gotten around to running a render yet. From what PlatnumK says, Reality doesn't know what to do with V8 yet, even in the known quantity of G3F skins. Not surprised that DAZ threw a monkeywrench at Paolo.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:45 am

DAZ is, again, making a new figure that is partially incompatible with the past just to make people buy everything from scratch. I can't say that I like this business model. At some point people will just say "enough".
Anyway, there is an easy fix for this.

- select the skin materials in Reality
- convert them to Skin
- convert the other materials is necessary. For example the cornea to Archi Glass
- select the materials converted, right-click and save them s generic presets

From now on V8 will come up with the right material types.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 am

Paolo, that point may be now. The grumblings in 3D forums is pretty loud. Sure, it was loud when V6 appeared, and especially when V7 appeared, but this time, the anti-newandshiny have a very valid point. There isn't enough of a difference in Victoria 8 for her to warrant being called anything but V7.3. She's almost the same as V7, just with geografted eyelashes.

I'm sure you've already looked at her, but eye moisture is now part of eyelashes, and they're a totally separate materials group, not connected with the Vicki figure anymore. Why, may I ask? Oh, yeah. Marketing geniuses.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

DsinR

Postby DsinR » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am

Yep it's official! V8 & M8 are here and indeed it's not recognized by Reality Render!
I made a Quick Preset for V8 & M8 to get started, and you can tweak it to your likings 8-) Enjoy.

Ps. Updated the Quick Presets for V8 Only (Thanks to sigstan!).
New and final correction update for the Quick Presets for V8 Only (Thanks to PlatnumK!).
Added the New M8 Quick Presets (since 25-08-2017).
reality_M8_NEW_Censored.png
reality_V8_NEW_Censored.png
Attachments
NEW M8 Only Quick Presets.rsb
(13.42 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
NEW V8 Only Quick Presets_FinalCorrection.rsb
(13.46 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Last edited by DsinR on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:29 am

I don't think that the current policy that DAZ is using is going to be beneficial in the long term. Consumers are not stupid, and they know when they are taken for granted.

Producing new products that are incompatible with the previous investments, in a market to the is extremely sensitive to spending new money, is really not a valid strategy.

When we had Victoria 4 consumers had the best experience to date. The figure was very versatile, it was easy to modify, had the longevity of several years, and many, many, many products where are made for it.

It is very useful to be able to work on a product that you know intimately for several the years, that makes you more productive, and ultimately it makes the workflow of creating new scenes more enjoyable because it is easier.

With the introduction of new technologies, which are just incrementally better than what was before the user is forced to learn new procedures and spend a lot of time adapting previous investments to the new architecture, and all of that time is ultimately taken away from the creative process.

I don't see this as an advantage, and I would not participate in this trend.
--
Paolo

PlatnumK

Postby PlatnumK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 am

This is what happens when you use the G8 Base + a G3 Skin & Reality's Skin Material
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 13.37.43.png

Return to “General”