Light Strategies in Luxcore

Nathanomir

Re: Light Strategies in Luxcore

Postby Nathanomir » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm

I just switched to Windows 10. What program do you recommend for editing an .lxs file in Win10? I get a mess in Notepad, and Wordpad won't let me save it back to itself.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:40 am

Notepad++
This little program always helps me a lot
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Thank you, Marcel.

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:06 pm

Oh, and it is a clean download. do not forget to install the update to be safe
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

I do not remember downloading and installing Notepad ++ on my old machine, but apparently that's what happened. That is exactly the line editor I was using. So, thanks again.

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:28 am

Outstanding Niels!

I've been reading the Lux Wiki and documentation and have two questions.

1. Do "maxconsecrejects" and "integer outlierrejection_k" [x] come into play using LuxCore? I know you must be using Metropolis sampler to affect these but only outlierrejection_k shows up in my .lxs file. Do you normally change the value of [x] to something other than 1?

2. What relationship do these two have to each other and is it worth messing with?

With 40 cores in my network rendering I can burn some time to eliminate noise and fireflies. I normally set the outlierrejection_k [5], will anything other than not using LuxCore help?

Thanks, Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:25 am

MustangMike wrote:Outstanding Niels!

I've been reading the Lux Wiki and documentation and have two questions.

1. Do "maxconsecrejects" and "integer outlierrejection_k" [x] come into play using LuxCore? I know you must be using Metropolis sampler to affect these but only outlierrejection_k shows up in my .lxs file. Do you normally change the value of [x] to something other than 1?

2. What relationship do these two have to each other and is it worth messing with?

With 40 cores in my network rendering I can burn some time to eliminate noise and fireflies. I normally set the outlierrejection_k [5], will anything other than not using LuxCore help?

Hi Mike

The Metropolis parameter maxconsecrejects is used by Luxcore, but Reality is not setting it explicitly and therefore it defaults to 512. The only valid reason to change it, would probably be the use of caustics in your scene, in which case you might want to increase it (I never do).

The Film parameter outlierrejection_k (FFs removal) is most likely not used by Luxcore. I cannot find any references to it in Luxcore SDL and I know that Luxcore uses clamping (path.clamping.variance.maxvalue) to control fireflies at least in PATHCPU (Mono-directional). That is a minor thing though, because current versions of Luxrender/Luxcore rarely need this parameter. If you have FF issues, you should check your materials for overly bright/glossy materials. I usually keep this parameter at zero, since setting it higher results in a speed hit and memory hit. Setting it to 5 you risk a loss of performance of up to 50% compared with setting it to 0!

There is no relation between maxconsecrejects and outlierrejection_k that I know of.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Hey Niels..

Thank you. That's about what I had inferred about the maxconsecrejects parameter.
I know that the outlierrejection_k parameter does work well in Luxrender. I don't change it in test renders using Luxcore but always set it to a higher number than the [1] it defaults to. I normally have a lot of bright/glossy materials in my scenes and experience almost no FF. Since I'm always doing a network distributed render in Luxrender for the final, it's worth it to me to crank up the value.

Somehow I got the idea that the two parameters had "some" connection or relationship but couldn't find anything definitive so thanks for setting my mind at ease. :) Oh, your new RCL v2 is excellent! Thanks again.

Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:57 am

MustangMike wrote:Oh, your new RCL v2 is excellent! Thanks again.

Thanks, I'm happy your finding it useful
/Sigstan

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”