Goldtassel Hair Geometrypox Weirdness

Nathanomir

Goldtassel Hair Geometrypox Weirdness

Postby Nathanomir » Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm having the notorious Goldtassel hair geometrypox problem -- those black specs on the forehead.

I ran a bunch of tests, and thought I'd found the solution, at least for DS 4.9. Set the Mesh Smoothing smoothing iterations to 4 and collision iterations to 8, with interactive update turned on, and smoothing type set to base shape matching. Every test worked beautifully.

Set up a scene, and there it is again! Geometrypox! On the very hair I just tested.

I'm back in the test lab, running tests of that same hair, using every single lighting combination I can think of (including sunlight), with no geometrypox.

This is maddening! Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Gederix

Re: Goldtassel Hair Geometrypox Weirdness

Postby Gederix » Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 am

What does interactive update do exactly? Ive never figured that one out.
My fix for hair related squiggles is to adjust the brow line fit of the hair.
Maybe related maybe not but I have noticed that when I for ex decide to drop the opacity for parts of a clothing or armor set to remove sleeves or whatever that if I do not also go into reality and turn off those material zones for which I zeroed the opacity in daz, that I often get those same black squiggles on the skin surface where those material zones were zeroed out. If I transmap something out I do not see the issue (like say cutting holes in armor/clothes), just with the opacity slider in daz. And I cannot say it always happens, but when it does, thats my fix.

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 am

I'll give the brow adjust a try. Thanks.

It's funny that the issue doesn't show up in my tests. Only in the art scene, with the same character. DS is probably playing a practical joke on me.

And I have no idea what the interactive update does. All I know is when I turn it on, the hair seems to fit better. It does nothing with clothes that I can tell. It may have something to do with the hair/clothes/etc following the character's pose.

PlatnumK

Postby PlatnumK » Thu May 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Interactive update is part of the Smoothing Modifier, While its switched on everything you do in the viewport/parameters the smoothing Modifier is updated in real time, Tho at times this can be useful it can also have the adverse effect of slowing down the viewport.

As for the problem with hair by Goldtassel, This is normal caused by the hairs skull cap, and normally a small amount of adjustment to the skull cap all that is required.

Look for a control called FHMExpandAll and increase it to about 10%, If you can't see it then make sure you have Show Hidden enabled.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 20.26.37.png

With control set at 0%
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 20.31.48.png

With control set at 10%
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 20.29.53.png

No other adjustment made.

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Thank you! I'll give that a try. I knew there was something like that but couldn't find it.

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Fri May 19, 2017 12:03 am

Interesting. Not every Goldtassel hair has the FHMExpandAll option. Carefree does not.

SpeedBump

Postby SpeedBump » Sat May 20, 2017 9:44 am

I've had luck with adding a small mesh offset/push modifier to the hair. I start at .05. Is this the same function without the built in FHMExpandAll slider?

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Speculating here, based on what I've seen with push modifier (I use it to prevent poke-through on Out of Touch outfits). It adds to the thickness of the mesh, turning a flat plane into a cube as it were, where ExpandAll simply resizes it. But if it works, it works.

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Wed May 24, 2017 3:16 pm

Okay. Thanks for the tips. They, or a combination, worked.

MADA HAIR: Has an Adjust All slider. A setting of .10 fixed it.

CAREFREE HAIR: It does have a FHMExpandAll option. It's the only one of the four I'm using that did (or I could find). It wasn't enough at .10, and any more made the hair too big. So, .10 with a mesh offset of .10 fixed it.

GARDEN PARTY HAIR: It probably didn't need it, since the bangs cover the forehead, but mesh offset, again at .10.

OLEANDER HAIR: It has an Adjust Forehead. .10 solved it.

All had the mesh smoothing set at Smoothing Iterations: 4, Collision Iterations: 8.

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”