Working with Clothes

Nyghtfall

Working with Clothes

Postby Nyghtfall » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Paolo,

I posed this question on your DA page, but think everyone could benefit from the discussion, so I'm posting it here instead.

As stunning as the new looks, it begs a question I've had since the release of Reality 4.2.1, and finally figured out how to put into words.

Most of my work involves clothing, and producing photo-realistic clothes with Reality has been one of my biggest challenges.

When working with clothes, what factors should we consider when selecting a material preset to start with before editing them? The Reality User Guide mentions Velvet is great for clothing, but you used Cloth for this outfit. Given the label, that seems the most logical choice for clothing, but how did you decide to use it instead of Velvet, or even... say... Matte?
Last edited by Nyghtfall on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Working with Clothes

Postby pciccone » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Great questions.
I did use Velvet for the Austrani Pants. The reason was simple: Velvet seemed like a good material for the pants.
I don't want to sound like a smartass, but that was it. I did try Cloth/Silk and even Leather simulation. Velvet looked better for the pants. I guess that that is the issue: how much time you spend in trying things and discarding what doesn't work. You need to be willing to put up the time... or buy one of my presets instead ;)

Cloth is generally the best choice. Matte can be OK but it doesn't give you the flexibility that Cloth has. That is because cloth simulates the fabric by rendering warp and weft. Matte doesn't have that option. Matte is generally a good choice for rugs, especially if they are not prominent in the camera.

You need to look at the presets of cloth that are available. There are two types of silk, one denim, some cotton, and another fabric that is like satin, if I remember well.

You need to look at the target material and ask yourself: what kind of fabric would this be?

For Austrani I made a decision beforehand that I wanted silk for most of it, because it's just a luxurious fabric. I started with the hood and I got some good result right away. So, I decided that silk was a good choice.

The rest was hours and hours of testing all kind of values for warp and weft, number of vertical and horizontal repetitions, and so on.

Hope this helps.
--
Paolo

Nyghtfall

Postby Nyghtfall » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:23 pm

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:40 pm

I guess that it depends on the outfit. If you are looking at contemporary/office, then cotton or gabardine would be more appropriate. For fashion pieces silk could be the right choice.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”