Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS (v2 May 2017)

sigstan

Re: Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS

Postby sigstan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi Mike

Looks good and I'm happy that you found the Octabox light useful.

I'm currently working on an update for the RCL package, so I'll include this light in the new version.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Just a suggestion but an "eye light/catch light" that is small and directional would be very handy as well. :)

Mike

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Here is what I was referring to. I took Mike005's Ring Light and parented it to your Round Light camera and did the attached pic. Mike's light is not rigged as a reality light but the tube can be used as an emitter and works well. The effect in the model's eye can be scaled by scaling the ring light, not elegant but it work. :)

Mike

RingCam.jpg
Attachments
RingLightCam.rar
(463.51 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Top of my head (& can't verify as not near my PC) couldn't you just create a white ring texture in PS/GIMP and apply that to en existing RCL light in the lights tab of Reality?. I could be wrong but something tells me there is a texture slot in the lights tab for mesh lights.

Also I don't recall if the RCL lights are normal mesh lights or LEM's as not used them for a while as I mainly use Callads CLS lights due to using Iray as well as Reality.

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Yeah, that might work or just a bulleye gobo might work as well but you'd lose the reflector/"limiter" to the ring. Since Niels said he was redoing his light set and did such a good job on the Octabox, I thought I'd feed him ideas. :)

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:25 am

I don't really use ring lights much, because I prefer having just round catch lights in the eyes, but I can include a ring light in the next version of RCL.

RCL uses normal Reality mesh lights, since that these provides the best lighting. LEMs are not really great for primary lighting. It is possible to use a GOBO texture (with the right mapping) in the texture slot under Reality Lights tab, but in my own experience it will make the lighting very, very dim. Not quite sure why that is, but that is why I normally avoid using it.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:51 pm

I prefer lights as well but LEM's work very well for small eye lights where you're not trying to light the entire scene.

I don't use GOBO's often either. Sometimes for a shadow effect is OK.

Thanks Niels!
Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 pm

I have updated the Octa light to version 1.1 (http://preta3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=359&start=10#p5378). The new version has a slightly cleaner architecture and should be more light efficient (fixed issue with mesh light). This version will be included in the next version of the RCL package.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank you very much!!

sigstan

Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS V2

Postby sigstan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS has been updated to version 2.

You can download the new RCL v2 from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/whssmk5dv43rnfk/RCL_v2.zip?dl=0

An overview of current features in RCL v2:

• All standard Reality mesh lights equipped with a camera loading in normal Reality default position
  • Four additional mesh lights: Round, Panorama, Ring and Octa light each with camera and handle
  • A tweaked (Reversed) version of Reality Curved Mesh light with camera and handle
  • Favorites on all parameters for quicker navigation
  • All parameters on the mesh lights, that should not be changed, are locked
  • Seven special IBLs to provide ambient or stand-alone lighting for quick portrait rendering
  • A new RCL Infinity Cove for use in portrait scenes
  • Material settings for the RCL Infinity Cove providing single color, smoke and other textures.
  • New more comprehensive documentation
Rendered with IBL-Sunlight:
Model_IBL_SunLight.jpg

Note that RCL v2 is made exclusively for DAZ Studio.

Unzip RCL_v2 in a temporary directory and follow the installation procedure described in the RCL User Guide PDF.

Remember the light camera is for positioning only and you need to choose a normal camera to render the scene.

Let me know if you run into any issues with this version.

Enjoy.
Last edited by sigstan on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Sigstan

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”