Custom metal panel

Marcel2586

Custom metal panel

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:51 am

Custom metal panel

Reality provides us with the best metal shaders available in 3D.
You have a shiny new or classic car with lots of chrome, then the metal shader is the best.
But, there is always a but, let’s say you have dented the chrome bumper and now it is starting to rust. Or you have not washed the car for many weeks and there is dirt piling up, How do you solve this in Reality.

rusted-bike.jpg

Let’s look at a copper frying pan.
When you buy one, it looks all new and shiny, proud as I am, I am polishing it to mirror state.
copper frying pan new.jpg

Now, as I live at the Dutch coast, I buy myself fish and going to fry it in my new pan.
I put sunflower oil in the pan and heating the oil up to approximately 180°C or 356°F and start to deep fry my fish.
Fried fish.jpg

After dinner I am going to do the dishes and try to polish the copper pan back to its mirror like finish. Because there are all different color nuances on the surface due to the heating process. I do my best but it will not go away, the different colors stay.
copper frying pan used.jpg

Now we have a scene in Poser or Daz Studio, and your character is cooking, or you have made a still live with food and pans. How do we get this used look on the copper surface.
Easy, select the copper pan surface and right click, select metal, copper and render away!
copper Pan no map H-9500.png

You end up with a nice new copper pan, all shiny and… wait. After pressing the copper plate in its mold, to press the pan in its shape, it is often milled in the factory. So I need to give it a duller surface over the vertical line. (it is milled horizontal so the vertical line is broken)
So I click on the chain link and set the horizontal value to 9500 and the vertical value to 6500. Give it a bump map and use an old hair trance map as height map and render away! And look, it almost looks real. But…….
copper Pan no map H-9500 V-6500.png

I miss the old look with all the colors.
There is a nice solution for this, it’s called custom metal. You get all the benefits from the metal shader and as bonus you can give it a texture. Select the custom metal selection box and load a grunge texture into it. That’s all. You will notice that when you select custom metal, the metal selection panel is grayed out, this is normal as it doesn’t matter what material type you use. You get the overall settings of metal with your selected bitmap texture.
copper Pan with map H-9500.png

For a copper like texture, Just do a Google on copper grunge texture and you will find what you need.

Here a result you can archief wit this setup
Example render.jpg

Here you see examples of used copper and stainless steel with vertical values set.
If you look at the enamel pot, it has its rust due to its use from many years.
You can ask yourself, why this small tutorial?
Look around you, perfect made mirror like metal objects are rare in your home. even the zippo lighter next to me that is silver plated is dull and shows copper trough it because the silver is weared off and the copper surface is poking trough

And for knights with shiny armor and shiny blades, they never have seen battle. ;)
Last edited by Marcel2586 on Sat May 28, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Fram1963

Re: Custom metal panel

Postby Fram1963 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks Marcel! :)
Lyne
:D

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Thank you Lyne, you have done a hell of a good job, with, you know!
Last edited by Marcel2586 on Sun May 29, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:50 pm

:ugeek:
Lyne
:D

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon May 30, 2016 3:57 pm

But knights have to have shiny armor :o

Thank you for a very interesting post!
/Sigstan

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 pm

I took your copper texture and ran with it :D

I also modeled a very quick teapot to have something to put it on *L*

It was great as it were, but I realised it was good for so much more, so here's a cast iron/raku (I can't quite decide which it resembles more) version. All I did was to desaturate it. I also made a "hair like" version of the same by simply slapping a motion blur over the desaturated version, and turned down the polish to 5500/7500. Oh and to get it a little darker, I used a texture combine instead of a pure texture map, so this is combined with a dark grey.

So thanks for that copper shader, even if I made it into iron *L*
Attachments
teapot.png
The teapot. Made of cast iron or raku ceramic... you decide
2016-06-10.png
The setup

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Creativity at work! Ain't that great?
--
Paolo

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:47 am

I re-use a lot of textures to get the job done.
Cast iron? I have a dirt map for it!
Brushed metal? I use a hair trans map for it!
Wall plaster? a picture of concrete!

But the copper grunge dose it very well for your cast iron teapot.

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 am

I'm not sure if it's ok to zip up the copper texture that Marcel provided together with the bumpmaps I made (I made a horizontal and a vertical one, I got the teapot a little unconventionally UVmapped - I suck at UV mapping...) together with the settings for cast iron? I would love to share it but I never figured out what the possible copyright issues with Marcels copper would be...

So.. is it ok?

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:07 pm

None, it is in the public domain. use it as you see fit.

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”