Help for the Millennium Cat

Nathanomir

Help for the Millennium Cat

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:48 pm

We probably aren't going to get a Genesis Cat with Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair any time soon. We're stuck using pets from 2008 (or earlier). They're long in the tooth (pun intended) enough as it is in 3Delight, but in Reality, those old textures really show up. This series is so old it doesn't even come with bump maps.

The best way to improve the looks of your pet is with a LAMH preset (Furrythings.com offers both long and short hair varieties, and are the only way to get a Persian or Maine Coon). Those cause my system to crash. So, I cobbled together this method.

Take a look at the Millennium Cat, Siamese morphs and textures. His hair still lays flat, and still isn't close up quality, but he's much better than right out of the litter box now.

Here are the steps to achieve a passable level of realism:

1. Subdivide the MilCat to high resolution, sub of 2.

2. Create a Normal Map. I created one in ShaderMap2 directly from the diffuse texture. This made a "hot" map, with extreme highs and lows, but as this simulates fur, I wanted that.

3. If you use ShaderMap, it creates a displacement map first, then makes the normal from the displacement map. Save the displacement map. You'll use it for a specular map and glossy map later. If you use one of the other systems, an alternative is to make a grayscale of the diffuse map. It isn't optimal, but it will work for this. Any improvement to the MilCat is an improvement!

4. These are the settings I used in Reality:

Siamese_DISP is the displacement map generated by ShaderMap. What this doesn't show is I ran the normal map at 150%.

I concentrated on the fur, with the usual change of cornea to glass, and increased the blue value of the iris to match the Siamese cats I've known. The inner mouth and claws will come into play if you render a cat yawning or fighting.

This ought to work for our friend the Millennium Dog, too, and should go a long way to adding more realism to the Horse.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Help for the Millennium Cat

Postby pciccone » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Thank you for another useful tutorial.
--
Paolo

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm

I hope I'm not hogging the forum, Paolo. These "Bob Ross" moments keep happening -- happy little accidents.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Kimberly58

Postby Kimberly58 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:23 pm

Keep em coming, please!

PixelWrangler

Postby PixelWrangler » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Wow, thank you very much for the awesome tutorial! Where can one find ShaderMap, by the way?

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:51 pm

/Sigstan

PixelWrangler

Postby PixelWrangler » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”