G3F and Iray skins

banditcameraman

G3F and Iray skins

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 am

I’ve stayed away from G3F characters because I couldn’t crack their skins in Reality… till Maestro Paolo released the V7 preset which is well worth the price. Prior to that the few times I tested G3 characters was with G2 skins via Cayman Studios’ plug-in. With that I could get G3 figures to look good because I’ve gotten my head around G2 (and G5/G4) skins.

Recently I made use of G3 figures (for Talenthouse’s Suicide Squad Creative Invite) and there is quite a lot to like about them, the ease of posing being the most significant. After that I spent some time testing the G3 figures that I had (bought on sale) and came to this realization about Iray skins...

They work surprisingly well in Reality, with relatively few tweaks!

The first is topcoat, which is meant to mimic SSS. Since Reality already has this built in, if the topcoat of a figure is Texture Combine with Red, usually 167:0:0, then it should be re-set from Texture Combine to Image Map. The map used in Top Coat will usually be an SSS map which adds nice subtle details to the character. If it’s another color it can be safely left in place, based on my limited experience.

The second, and knottier issue, is lips. I think I’ve started to get my head around making Iray lips work in Reality and it’s fairly straightforward (fingers crossed). Here are the steps:

1. Edit the lips, they will usually be set as a mix, the Texture Class on greyscale, and an SSS map or other greyscale Image Map will be used.

2. Change Mix to Image Map.

3. Select the Diffuse map used for the face. If this is a character with lip masks used for different lip colors, I recommend avoiding the mask and using the workaround that follows.

4. Because it’s still set to greyscale you might experience a wtf moment in the Material Preview window. Change Texture Class from greyscale to color.

5. Here’s the part which will solve the lip problems if you want glossy lips: in the specular channel, change whatever is there to Color. You can use either 98:98:98 or 93:113:123. For a hard shine set Glossiness to 9000 (for either color). For a more diffuse shine, use the second option and set the Glossiness to 8500. Those are also the settings for the teeth and mouth. Bear in mind that the modifiers are sometimes set to insane values. The rougher the surface is, the less shine there will be. I generally scale the settings down to 100% maximum for skin material zones and the lips to half of their original value. After adjusting the modifiers for the lips, adjust them for the rest of the skin material zones.

6. If you want colored lips and only lip masks have been provided, go back to the Diffuse Channel and set it to Texture Combine from Image Map. In the color box select the tint that you want via the color picker.

7. Do a test render.

Optional: You can use a white top coat for the lips, if desired. I use the default of 240:240:240

The following are tests that I’ve done with G3F HD characters. I’ll be providing some observations. Even those well versed with Iray compain about V7 eyes so I swapped them out for Olympia 7 eyes. All characters have been subdivided by 3, the same hair, clothes, pose and lighting, which was Fuzzy70's SingleIBL: Circle_Large_20 ;) All figures make use of fibermesh Oh My Brows from Rendo because I'm weird that way :lol:

For the most part they were rendered using CPU acceleration with Boost, taking about 20 minutes 8-)

V7: Maestro Paolo's preset, straight out of the box. No need to tweak and works well in Close Up and Full shot. Probably the closest thing to a "make art" button.

Olympia 7, default settings. Notice the lips.

Olympia 7, lips tweaked

Bethany 7, lips tweaked, top coat unchecked

Chiyo, the first G3 Asian character predating Mei Lin 7 by about a year (give or take). One of the more involved conversions. The Diffuse Channel was re-set from Texture Combine to Image Map. Top Coat checked, set to image Map. Lips tweaked with a top coat default of 240:240:240. Because Dark eyes are needed, I used Awesome Eyes, selecting a brown shade and giving the Irises a Top Coat of 000:000:000 and a thickness of 1.00

More to follow...
Last edited by banditcameraman on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

banditcameraman

Re: G3F and Iray skins

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 am

Eva 7, top coat set to Image Map from Texture Combine, lips tweaked.

The next two renders are Karen 7 morphs.

Frida, top coat set to Image Map from Texture Combine, Lips tweaked and Texture Combine used in Diffuse channel to give the lips colour.

Because there were no G3 African base figures. and I had become disenchanted making G3 work in Reality I don't have any HD African Beauties. So for this test I created my own, using Karen 7 HD as a base. She shares the same jawline as Frida :geek:

Amandla, top coat set to Image Map from Texture Combine because I wanted to keep the skin dark without a light color in the top coat, Lips tweaked and Texture Combine used in Diffuse channel to give the lips colour. Awesome Eyes for a brown base , Irises black top coat with a thickness of 1.00

Imari ended the G3F character drought. Lip specularity/glossiness value tweaked. That's all.

Arabella 7 is the only character that was rendered without accelration due to "patchiness" of the render despite two attempts. top coat set to Image Map from Texture Combine, Lip Specularity set to 93:113:123 with a glossiness value of 8000 and Irises have a Top Coat of black with a thickness of 1.5.

Hope this helps! :D
Last edited by banditcameraman on Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamWM

Postby SamWM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:12 pm

That's helpful, should try it and experiment more. Though I find it is easier to use the 3Delight shader for the model and tweak that. Would be nice to have more presets in future, not just V7, for the other main DAZ Genesis 3 characters at least.

banditcameraman

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:52 pm

I tried G3F 3Delight shaders extensively and haven't been happy with the results; the results never looked as good as the promo art. That's why I've stayed away from G3F except for using G2F skins.

My own standard is to make G3F skins look as good as G2F, which I've had a lot of experience with ;)

And yes, more presets for other 7 figures would be useful but that depends on Maestro Paolo. Another workaround, if you have the V7 presets, is to copy those settings onto G3F characters. Protip: it's not as hard nor as tedious as you might think ;)

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Thank you for this great resource Jaime.
--
Paolo

banditcameraman

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 pm

You're very welcome, Maestro Paolo :oops:

I should migrate the G2 skin tips from the old site over here. I know it's here somewheres but it's not so easy to find. When I need to refer to it I just go back to the old site ;)

And I'm surprised at how painless using Iray skins in Reality is, the only thing that's preventing me from moving over fully is being unable to port my characters because they have morphs based on G2 HD which doesn't move over via GenX2 :(

Of course if it was possible to export the HD shape to another program then export it from there with no loss of detail as a G3F morph... :lol:

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks Jaime for this very informative post!
Lyne
:D

banditcameraman

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:47 pm

You're most welcome, Lyne :oops:

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:23 pm

FYI about AJ's Blood Vessels (one of your top tips for improving realism in the various Vickis): She's taken down her blog, and with it, the blood vessel maps. Perhaps they will resurface again at some point.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

banditcameraman

Postby banditcameraman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Nathanomir wrote:FYI about AJ's Blood Vessels (one of your top tips for improving realism in the various Vickis): She's taken down her blog, and with it, the blood vessel maps. Perhaps they will resurface again at some point.

Ack! Me too :cry:

And there's no equivalent for Zev0's merchant overlay for G3F, which was another reason why I haven't embraced it. Can't really customize skins with stretch marks or moles unless one has the skills for DIY, but if I could do that I'd be a skin texture artist myself :oops:

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”