Ice cubes to Reality

Marcel2586

Ice cubes to Reality

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:04 pm

How to render lifelike ice in Luxrender.

Start by making a cube and make it rounder and irregular, or download it, enough free models on the internet to be found.

Startup Daz Studio or Poser and setup your scene
Ice_setup_Daz.jpg

Now add a Geometry shell in Daz Studio or make a copy in Poser and make it a little bit bigger than the original.
Ice_setup_Daz_2.jpg

Open Reality and click first on the original ice cube and go to the opacity tab.
Click on the gear and put in a new image map choose one of my textures to use Ice-1 or Ice-2 picture.
No need to change the colors in the materials tab as the gray color is just fine.
Ice_setup_Reality_1.jpg

Now click on the Geometry shell or copy and right click on the cube and make it a glass material.
Use the standard glass type and use in IOR the number 1,3335 or select in the presets liquids/Water: Frozen
Ice_setup_Reality_2.jpg

You can give the glass textured shell a bump map and a displacement map if you make a frozen pont or river.
Now start to render in CPU- No acceleration as the accelerated modes gives to much noise and fireflies that will not solve.
Have a good old fashioned patients when it renders for hours, but believe me, it is worth the waiting and a good excuse to play a game or watch a movie.

reality_scene.png

Here the finished test render.

Here are the textures i have made
Download the pictures by right click on it and choose open in new tab then save image as

This texture gives sharp cracked ice with lot of turbulence in the frozen water
Ice-1.jpg

Ice-2 This texture gives a smoother inner cube with less turbulence in the frozen water
Ice-2.png
Last edited by Marcel2586 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Fatbear

Re: Ice cubes to Reality

Postby Fatbear » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Fantastic, Marcel! Thanks!

Nathanomir

Re: Ice cubes to Reality

Postby Nathanomir » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Aha! Thank you. Just in time for icicles in a Christmas render.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”