Light Reflection in Eyes

owakulukem

Light Reflection in Eyes

Postby owakulukem » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 pm

Something that I have struggled with is getting that nice light reflection in the eyes. I decided to put together some helpers that I hope will let me achieve that all important light reflection in the eyes.
I created 3 long cylinders to act as guides in DAZ. I have one at 90° to the T-Pose of a model, so that it is pointing directly into the bridge of the models nose. One either side of the main cylinder I have two cylinders positioned at 45° and positioned in the models eyes. It looks like a big arrow pointing into the models face. I colored all the cylinders red and then created a null and parented the cylinders to the null and then parented the null to the right eye. I duplicated this set up, colored it blue and parented the null to the camera (looking down the middle of the center cylinder) instead of the eyes. Now when I move the camera I can see exactly where the camera is pointed and 45° off center on each side. When I move the model I can see exactly where the eyes are positioned in relation to the camera.
I have attached the .duf file of the helpers that I placed in the reality lights folder. I'm not sure if anything else like a .obj is needed because only the .duf and .png are included in the attachment.
Camera_Lights_Helpers.zip
(13.5 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

If the files inside the attachment aren't working please let me know.
You will probably have to parent each null to the eye and the camera respectively.
I hope this helps.
If anybody wants to come up with a better thumbnail or improve on the helpers - be my guest.
Here are some examples:

Screenshot03.jpg

Screenshot02.jpg

Screenshot01.jpg

reality_scene.png
Last edited by owakulukem on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marcel2586

Re: Light Reflection in Eyes

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Wonderful, this will help a lot off people!
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

owakulukem

Postby owakulukem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:21 am

Thanks Marcel. I hope this does help, I was looking for some type of tool that would measure the angle of the light to the eyes back to the angle of the camera, but I think these simple helpers will work.

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:09 am

HEY! This is a great idea! Getting "eye capture" is a pain.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

owakulukem

Postby owakulukem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:18 am

Thanks Nathanomir.

banditcameraman

Postby banditcameraman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:02 am

Wow! thank you so much for sharing this, owakulukem :worship: :D

owakulukem

Postby owakulukem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:17 pm

I appreciate it, but I think the thanks should be the other way around. I have followed your guys' posts and advice on this forum since I started using Reality. So thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience with all of us!

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks owakulukem, good idea :D

Seeing that makes me think the principal idea could be used for reflecters. I can't test at the moment (or for few days at least) but here's my theory. Make a disc or rectangular plane to use as your reflecter then create a long thin cyclinder in the middle, so the reflecter is flat on the ground and the cylinder points upwards, then make them into a group.

If you use the handle on the Reality mesh light and extend it outwards to show you where the light is pointing then move the reflecter group so the handle goes through where the cylinder joins the reflecter disc you should then be able to rotate the group and point it at where you want it to aim. Of course it would only help with mesh lights and the axes of the group will have to be centered on the reflecter where the cylinder joins it for it to work.

The idea works in my head but wether or not it would work in practice or if I have even managed to explain exactly what I mean could be a problem lol

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”