GPU rendering issues

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Greymom

GPU rendering issues

Postby Greymom » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Sorry if I am going over old ground, but I have not been able to find a solution to this so far:

I have been running CPU-only renders up until now, but I have put together a more powerful machine to run Poser and Daz Studio with Reality/Luxrender.

The CPU is an Intel 5820 (6-core) 32 GB memory
The GPU is an AMD R9-290X with 8 GB memory, driver updated.
OpenCl driver updated to 2.0 for both CPU and GPU
Most recent version of Reality and Luxrender downloaded from this site.

LuxMark 3.1 runs CPU+GPU or GPU-only mode like a rocket, 3200 Luxmarks in hybrid mode with the lobby scene.

But when I try to render a scene from Poser Pro 2012 with Reality/Lux in CPU-accelerated or non-accelerated modes (not OpenCl), no problems.
Reality shows the CPU and GPU as selectable OpenCl devices, and verifies OpenCl version 2.0
No problems running in CPU-only OpenCl mode even with large, complex scenes.
But when I try to render in CPU+GPU or GPU modes, only very simple scenes will work, even set for monodirectional, no FF removal, no IBL, Sun/sky light only. More complex scenes get a black screen with 0 devices 0 threads indicated, and eventually crash or lock up.
Even simple scenes initially show a black screen and indicate 0 Devices 0 Threads, but after 30+ seconds show the devices and threads, and an image begins to show. I do not get any error messages until something crashes (Poser, Reality, etc.).

Any suggestions very welcome!

Greymom

Re: GPU rendering issues

Postby Greymom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks to Daniel Wright over at the FB forum, who has found that the current AMD Catalyst driver does not work for LuxRender. This is the main cause of the problems I am having.

sigstan

Re: GPU rendering issues

Postby sigstan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:13 am

Greymom wrote:Thanks to Daniel Wright over at the FB forum, who has found that the current AMD Catalyst driver does not work for LuxRender. This is the main cause of the problems I am having.

Thanks for the information. There seems to be many driver issues both on AMD and Nvidia side at the moment.
/Sigstan

Return to “Troubleshooting”