Reality does not launch from Poser

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
DKrieger

Reality does not launch from Poser

Postby DKrieger » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:06 am

I'm really at a loss. I recently bought a new computer, installed Poser Pro 11 and Reality. Did some nice test renders, then the next day Reality wouldn't launch from Poser. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both programs. I've tried putting Reality in different Runtimes. I've tried setting a different compatibility mode on Reality. All with no success.

I do get this error in Poser:

RealityError.PNG
RealityError.PNG (8.63 KiB) Viewed 191 times

I see the path and I do not have an installation of Poser Pro 2014 on this machine and definitely not at the path it suggests ("Applications" would be a Mac directory and this machine is Windows).

As a side note, I can launch Reality and Lux Render individually using their exe's. So, the error has to be in the Python path?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is really driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!

-Poser Pro 11 64 Bit (11.0.7.33999) (English).
-Windows 10 (OS Build 15063.674)
-Reality 4.3.1.16203
-LuxRender 1.6.0 Build 16132

DKrieger

Re: Reality does not launch from Poser

Postby DKrieger » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:43 pm

I'll also point out that I have no other Python scripts installed yet and I have this problem no matter what scene I set up. A fresh scene with just a primitive and one mesh light kicks out the same error.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 am

Hi.
Reality cannot go in diventa runtimes. It must be installed in the Poser program directory, under the addons folder. Please post the complete location where Reality is installed.

Thank you.
--
Paolo

DKrieger

Postby DKrieger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Reality is installed in the same path as Poser.

It's very odd. I had the program installed, I mean, it worked until last Tuesday. Then on Wednesday it just started kicking out that error. I've tried reintalling Poser and Reality multiple times now. Is there a corrupt directory file written somewhere in Windows?
Attachments
Reality Path.PNG

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm

I could not know. It's likely that something else that you installed changed things inside Poser, resulting in this issue.
--
Paolo

DKrieger

Postby DKrieger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks Paolo,

I'll keep you posted if I find a solution, in case this happens to anyone else. I'll tell you the closest I've had to success. I recently enabled the "Administrator" profile on my machine and I tried in there and I "almost" had success. Reality opened (I was asked to register again - which never happened when I reinstalled on my main profile), but then Poser.exe crashed! And, Reality didn't have a link to the scene file. Anyway, it was further along then I've had for a while, so I must be onto something. There must be some hidden library file in Windows that has become corrupt.

Anyway, take care and all the best!

DKrieger

Postby DKrieger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 pm

This is what it does when I try and run it in Administrator mode.

I'm really getting frustrated. I'm thinking it's a Windows 10 problem. Was something corrupt on the latest Windows update? I can't be the only one who has had this happen. This is literally a new computer with only Poser, Reality and Firefox installed.

Well... next I'm going to try and wipe the hard drive and start with a fresh install of Windows.
Attachments
AdminPoserCrash.PNG

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm

It might be a matter of access rights. Make sure that all the directories where poser is, and all subdirs, are set to let you read and write.

Just a suggestion.
--
Paolo

Return to “Troubleshooting”