Reality 4.3, Poser 11, OSX error: libc++abi.dylib?

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
nakedrabbit

Reality 4.3, Poser 11, OSX error: libc++abi.dylib?

Postby nakedrabbit » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:50 am

Poser 11.05.32974, 64-bit, English
Reality 4.3.1
LuxRender 1.6
Mac OSX 10.9.5 (unapologetic)

Howdy, all! I have a weird one for ya here...

Rendering fine just last night, giant 4K file. Made a mistake, decided to re-send the file from Poser to Reality and saw that Reality complained it was "unconnected." No data from Poser, no lights, no textures, no geometry. Time for a restart, I guess.

After the restart Reality would not load - it gave me the error that "The last time you opened Reality, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" Either option, "Open" or "Don't Open," crashes with "Reality Quit unexpectedly." Also that giant report to send to Apple, will I can include if anyone thinks there will be something in it.

"Hmmm..." sez I, "I wonder if this is a permissions thing? I'll run the Reality binary from the terminal and see what error messages I get..." I do, running it with sudo, and I get this startling gem:

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type zmq::error_t: Invalid argument

Googling that phrase seems to indicate this is a Qt error of some kind?

Help, help, help! Uninstalling and reinstalling Reality does no good. Removing and wiping the com.preta3d.reality.plist file from preferences does no good. Everything was peachy-keen and working fine!

Any ideas?

PlatnumK

Re: Reality 4.3, Poser 11, OSX error: libc++abi.dylib?

Postby PlatnumK » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 am

Have you tried running 1st Aid from the Disk Utility, Also try updating your copy of MacOS to 10.13.1

nakedrabbit

Postby nakedrabbit » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:00 am

Thanks, PlatnumK, I can try to repair permissions, although I doubt that's the issue. Remember that Reality was working FINE until it suddenly stopped, not after the restart. It would be odd that permissions would do it in this case.

Ditto for the upgrade. 10.13.1 offers me little except a half hour of turning off annoying things I don't need, and since Reality WAS working just fine on my 10.9.5 it's doubtful that an upgrade, after which I lose pretty much all my expensive software (Pro Tools, stuff like that) will fix things.

I do thank you for bothering to read and reply, though, please do not think I am ungrateful.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi.
Can you please try the following:

- Start Poser
- Leave the scene blank
- Call Reality from the Poser menu

Please remember that you cannot call Reality from the Finder or other app managers, it must be called from the Poser menu.

Please let me know the result of the test.
--
Paolo

nakedrabbit

Postby nakedrabbit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 am

Paolo! So good to hear from you!

Yes, this is what happened:
1. Started Poser, generic "Andy" figure is there.
2. Killed Andy so the scene would be blank.
3. Clicked "Reality Render Editor" button at top of window.
4. Reality opens, gives me the warning about "The last time you opened Reality...try to reopen the windows?" I clicked "Don't."
5. EUREKA! It opens fine! Huh...

So now to try it with my model... EVERYTHING WORKS! Rendering just fine, once again!

Wow. So I have no idea what the issue was, but this reset procedure sure did the trick. Thanks so much for the help! If this ever happens again, I'll remember it.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 am

I’m glad that everything is back to normal.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

nakedrabbit

Postby nakedrabbit » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 pm

You're the best, Paolo!

Return to “Troubleshooting”