Help with GPU Rendering issues?

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
DeepHueStudios

Help with GPU Rendering issues?

Postby DeepHueStudios » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 am

Poser Pro 11.0.5.32974 (64 Bit)
English
Reality 4.3.1.16203
LuxRender 1.6.0 Build 16132

Hello everyone, either my search-fu is bad, or there's not anything really recent for my issue. I just recently got back into using Poser, and decided I hated the way FireFly and SuperFly renders looked, so I thought I'd give Reality a try. When rendering the scene using my CPU it gets 8 threads, 8 Devices, but it takes insanely long. We're talking 18-24 hours for a single character with no other objects (And it didn't finish), a single light source. Yes I use Hi-res textures and bump maps, but nothing crazy. (By contrast FireFly and Superfly render the same scene in about 20-30 minutes, either with CPU or with GPU).

Anyways, this lead me to try to render using my GPU's, since I have 2 of them. I have a GTX 1070 Ti and a GTX 960. When using OpenCL rendering with Extra Boost or not, it loads into LuxRender and I get 0 Threads, and 0 Devices and no movement at all. A Black Scene, and I can let it sit for hours and it will do nothing. I go to stop the render and it then freezes up the program, which I have to quickly kill with task manager.

I have seen other threads where people have this same problem and they say it's due to driver issues, although, these problems were posted 1+ year ago or more. So I was hoping I could get some more relevant help.

Thanks to anyone who replies with something that can help me along the way.

DeviantShade

Re: Help with GPU Rendering issues?

Postby DeviantShade » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm getting a similar issue on my GTX 1080 when using Open-CL rendering. Nvidia's OpenCL support has always been a little dubious. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

White-B

Postby White-B » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:10 am

Try the new Nvidia drivers, it worked for me.
I use the texture collection feature with 2000 pixels.
For the scene confugration i let it as is for opencl rendering:
Open CL group size: 64
Type: Mono-Directional
FFs Removel: 1
Sampler: Sobol
Max Path leght: 16
Light strategy: simple

i have tried it with a simple scene and a full room and it worked. I am testing it atm, but the Driver 411.63 works this way with opencl.
I also had a clean install with the DDU tools to remove the old driver.
I hope this helps.

DeviantShade

Postby DeviantShade » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 pm

DeepHueStudios wrote:Poser Pro 11.0.5.32974 (64 Bit)
English
Reality 4.3.1.16203
LuxRender 1.6.0 Build 16132

Hello everyone, either my search-fu is bad, or there's not anything really recent for my issue. I just recently got back into using Poser, and decided I hated the way FireFly and SuperFly renders looked, so I thought I'd give Reality a try. When rendering the scene using my CPU it gets 8 threads, 8 Devices, but it takes insanely long. We're talking 18-24 hours for a single character with no other objects (And it didn't finish), a single light source. Yes I use Hi-res textures and bump maps, but nothing crazy. (By contrast FireFly and Superfly render the same scene in about 20-30 minutes, either with CPU or with GPU).

Anyways, this lead me to try to render using my GPU's, since I have 2 of them. I have a GTX 1070 Ti and a GTX 960. When using OpenCL rendering with Extra Boost or not, it loads into LuxRender and I get 0 Threads, and 0 Devices and no movement at all. A Black Scene, and I can let it sit for hours and it will do nothing. I go to stop the render and it then freezes up the program, which I have to quickly kill with task manager.

I have seen other threads where people have this same problem and they say it's due to driver issues, although, these problems were posted 1+ year ago or more. So I was hoping I could get some more relevant help.

Thanks to anyone who replies with something that can help me along the way.

Check the opencl selection string in the generated .lxs file. You might have to manually change them to get Lux to detect your graphics cards properly. 0 is disabled and 1 is enabled. Are both of your GPUs in the same desktop or are you using network rendering?
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

Return to “Troubleshooting”