Reality Unconnected from Daz Studio

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
MustangMike

Reality Unconnected from Daz Studio

Postby MustangMike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:23 am

Reality Version: 4.3.1.16203
Lux Version: 1.6

Does anyone have any idea what this means? Reality is installed and all the files are in the correct place, and it works except for being able to access the Universal Presets."Unconnected"??
Attachments
Unconnected.jpg

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Reality Unconnected from Daz Studio

Postby pciccone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm

That happens if you call Reality by yourself, instead of suing the menu from Studio or Poser. Alternatively it can happen if your AV/Firewall programs are blocking Reality and/or DAZ Studio/Poser from making Internet connections. For Reality to work both Reality and DAZ Studio/Poser must have *unrestricted* inbound & outbound Internet connections. This doesn’t mean that you have to be able to be connected to the net. It means that the programs must be able to establish TCP/IP connections because that’s how Reality connects to Studio & Poser. Via a TCP/IP connection inside the same machine.

If your AV or Fireall software blocks those programs from making a connection then Reality cannot work.
--
Paolo

jtarrier

Postby jtarrier » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks Paolo. I tried both scenarios. First I gave Daz Studio and Reality 'unrestricted' inbound and outbound internet access in my firewall then manually fired up Reality, it still showed 'unconnected' as you rightly said. After closing Reality I fired up Daz Studio, loaded a scene, then launched Reality via the menu and the 'unconnected' disappeared.

Best regards,

Jeremy

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi Jeremy.

Glad that it worked. I forgot to mention that sometimes it is necessary to reboot.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks Paulo..

I had made exceptions in my A/V to exclude both the DS and Reality .exe files and I don't use a firewall. Defender is shut down completely on my network. I just reinstalled DAZStudio_4.9.4.122_Win64 and Reality so maybe I need to refresh my A/V exceptions although they are in exactly the same place.

Would the "unconnected" status preclude Reality from applying Universal Presets? Although I loaded a scene, called Reality from DS and was able to edit the materials in the scene, I was unable to apply a Universal Preset (a car paint in this case).

Mike

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi.
When there is no connection no operations can be done. Simply there is no communication between Studio and Reality. If there is communication then all features will work, including the presets.
--
Paolo

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Paolo, I "think" it was a bad install of DS 4.10. I uninstalled 4.10 and did a fresh install and now everything works correctly.

BTW, even though Reality reported "unconnected", the presets would apply, just VERY slowly. LOL
All is well now. Thanks for the response.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Thank you for letting me know.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

No problem, I was just pleased it was something simple. :)
While you're online, can Reality use .tif files? It seems to but I can't find any docs on file types Reality can use.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Yes, it can, for textures and IBL.
--
Paolo

Return to “Troubleshooting”