Reality DS plugin not working anymore

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
matr767

Reality DS plugin not working anymore

Postby matr767 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:07 am

First, I will tell you when the program stopped working, which is around the same time DAZ released 4.12+, I uninstalled everything of Reality, including LuxRender, made sure plugin was no longer appearing in DAZ, downloaded the latest 64-Bit Windows version from this site and installed it. Still no Reality window appearing when selected through the Render Menu of DAZ. Started with simple Genesis character, added Reality Overhead Mesh Light, created camera, selected Reality Render from Render Menu in DAZ, no Reality window appears. Then tested with simple sphere, Reality overhead mesh light and camera, selected Reality Render from Render Menu in DAZ, no Reality window appears. I also will tell you this started happening out of the blue around the time they started adding DAZ Central. Reality DS does not show in DAZ Central as a Plugin. Not sure if this is the problem, but thought I would mention it here. Below is all of the information you request in the Top Sticky post. Anything else you would like, please let me know. I truly enjoy using Reality for rendering and now it appears as if DAZ is discontinuing supporting it or something. Hope that is not the case. Thanks.

DAZ 4.14.0.10 64-BIT
Reality DS - I installed the latest Windows 64-Bit version you offer here for download
LuxRender Version 1.6.0 Build 16132 - This LuxRender Version is installed when installing Reality DS.
I use the RTX-2080TI with no acceleration and no OC.
Reality will not start. When selecting it from the Render Menu in DAZ, it does not start.
My O/S is Windows 10 Pro

Thanks.

cowdog

Re: Reality DS plugin not working anymore

Postby cowdog » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:23 pm

The "Reality Editor Not Loading" thread addresses the same issue.

If the plugin is working, you don't have to create an environment to open the Reality Editor window. You just can't render until you have something loaded, i.e. object, lighting, camera.

I have two platforms: One legacy system running Windows 7 Pro, and the other with Windows 10 Home. Both systems have DAZ Studio 4.14, but only the legacy system works with Reality. The newer system fails to launch the editor window.

Key differences between the two systems are: OS, GPU, and anti-virus software. I believe that Reality uses sockets to communicate. If your anti-virus is blocking socket communication then the plugin won't work. In my case, I've put both DS and Reality into the exception list for the firewall.

My legacy system uses a GTX 970, while the new system uses an RTX 3070. I don't know enough about the internal architecture of the Reality plugin to determine if that's a factor. What I do know is that Luxus (another plugin that invokes luxrender) works in the new system.

On a side note, Octane fails to run on the new system (Cuda Cores are set to "?"), but runs on the legacy system.

The Reality source code is available as open source now. It's in a Mercurial Repository. However, it was built with Visual Studio 10 (which I don't have) and the build notes are incomplete the last time I looked. I'd attempt to debug the application if I could get it to build, but I only have Visual Studio Community 2019 at my disposal and things have changed significantly since v. 10. (Also, I'm not a windows developer, so I'm at a disadvantage.)

Sorry if none of this helps. The one thing I'd look at is your anti-virus configuration (if that's changed).

kidanonymous3dx

Postby kidanonymous3dx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 am

Where is Paolo? 3 threads about plugin can’t start. It was working before 20H update. But then i installed fresh 1903 with newest nvidia driver plugin won’t start. Could be nvidia driver issue?

kidanonymous3dx

Postby kidanonymous3dx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 am

Just installed driver 451.48 and reality works again. These 30 series driver may cause the issue

matr767

Postby matr767 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 pm

Thanks for the info kid, but no joy. I updated my RTX2080TI with the newest driver but the driver version is up to 461.40. I may have to look at rolling back the driver if you have found that version 451.48 is allowing the use of the Reality DS plugin. Funny, I actually bought the RTX2080TI graphics card because I wanted the best card to compliment the quality of the Reality DS performance. That was the sole reason for purchasing it. Now, it looks like I have to degrade the graphics driver in order to use an older plugin. Come on Preta-3D! You have many admirers of the graphics you got us all hooked on, but it is looking like we will not be able to use your plugin much longer, or not at all anymore. If this is the case, it would be appropriate for us to inform software vendors that they should not be advertising the product for purchase, if the purchaser is not going to be able to use it. Please, I implore you reply to us with some type of support and help us continue to use Reality. I am not ready to switch to Octane, which is what is being posted on several forums when there is a inquiry into helping with Reality plugin not starting. I really hope you will get back to us. Thanks.

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:11 pm

FYI, Octane doesn't work with the RTX Ampere GPU (30) series either (although they're working on updating the DS plugin).

Has anyone else confirmed that rolling back to 451.48 works with Reality? And, if so, is that driver compatible with a 30 series card?

As for support from Paolo... I'm guessing he's stepped away from the plate after announcing that Reality is open source.

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Ok, I verified that 451.48 is NOT compatible with my RTX 3070 :(, so no using that driver for me.

Incidentally, Luxus does work in DS. I've only dabbled with it, but it doesn't seem to be as easy to work with as Reality.

kidanonymous3dx

Postby kidanonymous3dx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:31 pm

I should’ve mention I use gtx 1070.
Gonna test different driver in my other machine that use 30 series card.

matr767

Postby matr767 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:19 pm

Wanted to post an update for what I am experiencing with not being able to use the Reality DS plugin. Today, I received a support email from DAZ3D Help Center in which they asked me for the Order number of which I purchased the Reality plugin. They stated the reason they want to know that is so that they can test Reality using the plugin of which I purchased. So, what that means is that hopefully, we will be getting DAZ support in on this and either they will come to the conclusion of not working anymore with DAZ, or they will hopefully be able to steer us to getting Reality DS working again. Either way, I am hopeful that DAZ IT personnel will either get us working again; try to contact the vendor because the product is listed as available for purchase, which means it must work, or it will be cancelled; or it will no longer be available for purchase and we will not have to continue to lose our minds trying to get working again what was once a great tool to use to create incredible renders. I will post further updates as I am contacted with progress or not from DAZ support. Take care.

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks, matr767. I would hate to give up on it as well. Can anyone confirm that Reality works with older Nvidia drivers? Or is that a red herring?
Reality continues to work on my Windows 7 machine using a GTX 970, but I have yet to have any success with the much newer RTX 3070.

Return to “Troubleshooting”