How do I make the light emit from lamp/bulb props?

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Tripp

How do I make the light emit from lamp/bulb props?

Postby Tripp » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:55 am

Hey :D I use Reality/Luxrender latest versions.

Until now I have only been using reality meshlights, placed behind my cameras. I have never lit up any light source prop on the scene, for example any kind of lamp. Usually I always hide any lamps on my scene when possible, cause I don't know how to light them up.

How can I start making the lamps on my scenes emit the light? Instead of always placing the meshlights behind the camera? Are there any tutorials on this?

Thank you

sigstan

Re: How do I make the light emit from lamp/bulb props?

Postby sigstan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:42 am

Depends on how powerful your light should be. You can either turn the bulb into a Reality light source or make it emissive.

If you want the bulb to emit a strong light, then it needs to be a real mesh light. This can be achieved by renaming the bulb object, so that it includes a RealityLight prefix like this:
  • RealityLightLampBulb
This will turn the bulb material into a mesh light, and you will find it in Reality lights tab. You will need to find the correct gain, that fits the scene and also prevent a burn-out of lamp shades etc.

If the light need not be strong, then you can make the bulb emissive. There is a tutorial about emissive lights here:
http://preta3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=307

Hope this helps.
/Sigstan

Tripp

Postby Tripp » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Many thanks. In fact I was also trying to light up an monitor screen but I didn't mention it, but you gave me a tutorial directly to that!

Thanks again, I will try these tips out right now. If I remember, I will post some renders of my results :)

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey Niels, where do you rename the item you want to turn into a Reality light? In a modeler or in DS?

I've just used the preset in Reality "Convert to Light" from the right click menu.

Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:03 pm

MustangMike wrote:Hey Niels, where do you rename the item you want to turn into a Reality light? In a modeler or in DS?

I've just used the preset in Reality "Convert to Light" from the right click menu.

Mike

You just rename the object in DS, but yes you can also use the "Convert to light" in Reality. Forgot about that option, since I usually handle this in DS before even going into Reality.
/Sigstan

Return to “Troubleshooting”