Reality forgetting texture file paths

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Sou1forged

Reality forgetting texture file paths

Postby Sou1forged » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 pm

I have been experiencing this problem for a while now, where I find that sometimes when exporting my scenes from Reality to Luxrender, multiple textures won't load as they did previously. Checking the log i find errors similar to this:

[2017-02-24 17:05:22 Error: 2] Error hashing file '@runtime/textures/[...]/[texture name].jpg'
[2017-02-24 17:05:22 Error: 3] Unable to open image file ''@runtime/textures/[...]/[texture name].jpg''

Checking said materials in Reality, I find the same relative filepaths there, and trying to reselect the maps brings me to the desktop instead of the folder in which the corresponding textures are located. I have to copy paste the file path for every single image map in order for it to again recognise the textures.

I don't know exactly when (or why) it happens, only that it has happened multiple times on materials I have already fixed multiple times...

sigstan

Re: Reality forgetting texture file paths

Postby sigstan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Are those scenes using DAZ cloud-based content, because that will not work with Reality in its current version.

You can try to switch on the Texture collection (texture size Original), which will work even in CPU modes, but I haven't tried this using DAZ cloud storage. I basically store everything locally.
/Sigstan

Sou1forged

Postby Sou1forged » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Cloud storage? Don't think so. It's all there on my hard drive.

I use DAZ Connect to download stuff from the store though. Could that have something to do with it? It has made a mess of things for me in the past.

Kyricus

Postby Kyricus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:03 am

sigstan wrote:Are those scenes using DAZ cloud-based content, because that will not work with Reality in its current version.

You can try to switch on the Texture collection (texture size Original), which will work even in CPU modes, but I haven't tried this using DAZ cloud storage. I basically store everything locally.

AH! Thank you, I thought that might be the issue! I'm having the same problem as the OP.

I recently got a new pc and used DAZ Connect to download all my stuff instead of the install manager. I notice that it loads all the files and runtimes into individual folders in a folder called data/cloud and than many many multiple folders

When i first export and run luxrender it works fine, but if I make any changes, or try to resume the render at a later date, it doesn't load the textures.

Hopefully a fix/update will come, because I really like using daz connect over the old dim.

And FYI, I tried turning on texture collection, still had the same problem.

Sou1forged

Postby Sou1forged » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:21 am

Kyricus wrote:And FYI, I tried turning on texture collection, still had the same problem.

Yeah, texture collection won't work if Reality can't find the textures it should collect in the first place.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Sou1forged wrote:Cloud storage? Don't think so. It's all there on my hard drive.

I use DAZ Connect to download stuff from the store though. Could that have something to do with it? It has made a mess of things for me in the past.

Yeah, I meant DAZ Connect, which is a cloud based strategy. I believe it is encrypted and requires interfacing through webservices. This is what DAZ says about compability with other software:
Products installed through Daz Install Manager keep their previous functionality. Products updated to Daz Connect will not function with Carrara or the DSON Importer for Poser due to an inability to interface with Daz Connect web services. Products that are available in zip format or through Daz Install Manager will remain available

So code changes in Reality will be required to support DAZ Connect, if DAZ actually allows external programs to use DAZ connect. They even seem to have left Carrara (a DAZ product) out in the cold :roll:
Last edited by sigstan on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Sigstan

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Sou1forged wrote:
Kyricus wrote:And FYI, I tried turning on texture collection, still had the same problem.

Yeah, texture collection won't work if Reality can't find the textures it should collect in the first place.

No, but I was under the impression it works the first time you render. The textures should be collected fine then, but on second thought obviously that is quite limiting since you will not be able to change anything later on.

Anyway, at the moment there is only one work-around. You will need to do download your content and do the one-time authentication for offline use (How do I install Daz Connect products using Offline Packages?):
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/990392/
/Sigstan

Kyricus

Postby Kyricus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:41 pm

sigstan wrote:
Sou1forged wrote:

No, but I was under the impression it works the first time you render. The textures should be collected fine then, but on second thought obviously that is quite limiting since you will not be able to change anything later on.

Anyway, at the moment there is only one work-around. You will need to do download your content and do the one-time authentication for offline use (How do I install Daz Connect products using Offline Packages?):

Yup, render works first time, but any changes and..poof no more rendering. And that workaround is a big pain.

I'm thinking I may just unistall everything and reload using the old DIM. Seems a lot easier than the work around they posted.

Sou1forged

Postby Sou1forged » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Kyricus wrote:
sigstan wrote:
Sou1forged wrote:

Yup, render works first time, but any changes and..poof no more rendering. And that workaround is a big pain.

I'm thinking I may just unistall everything and reload using the old DIM. Seems a lot easier than the work around they posted.

I've already started doing just that. It's a pain redownloading over 1000 products through DIM, but I need to be able to use Reality without having to reiterate the file path of every single material, over and over again.

Return to “Troubleshooting”