Reality won't reinstall - Can't find path for Daz Studio

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Stryder87

Reality won't reinstall - Can't find path for Daz Studio

Postby Stryder87 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm

I did a fresh install of Daz along with Reality 4.3.1 (x64) and Lux 1.6 (x64) (Win7 x64) when I built a new computer. I was having some issues with Daz so I uninstalled it all, including Reality and Lux. I got Daz back up and running properly, but when I start Daz, it keeps saying the Reality plugin won’t load. I had uninstalled Reality using the ‘Remove Programs’ in the Control Panel. Checking, Reality is still listed in the plugin section in Daz. Unchecking it doesn’t stop the popup when I start Daz. In line with Daz tech support suggestions, I tried to reinstall Reality so I can try to uninstall it cleanly (again), but now Reality will not install as it comes up with a blank line where the path for the installation of Daz should be. When I manually point it to the path (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D), it says it’s not there. I’ve gone and manually checked for any instance of Reality I could find, including the registry, to see if there may be something left over that could be stopping the installer, but I can’t find anything.

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Reality won't reinstall - Can't find path for Daz Studio

Postby pciccone » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi.
First, you need to uninstall Reality as described in our Knowledge base ( http://preta3d.com/wiki/doku.php?id=uni ... io_edition ), the control panel method doesn't work.

Second, if the installer doesn't accept the path that you selected then it means that Studio is not there. Double check your path and make sure that you point to the folder where the DAZStudio.exe file is. That is generally in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4, not the path that you listed.
--
Paolo

Stryder87

Postby Stryder87 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:26 am

Ok, I followed the steps in the link. I also pointed to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 where dazstudio.exe is. In the window to select the folder, it doesn't actually show any of the files in that folder, just sub folders. I know dazstudio.exe is in there, but it still says it's not installed there.

I'm stuck here. It's still a no go.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:02 am

Hmm, it should show up provided both DAZ Studio and Reality is the 64-bit version. I know you said that, but you might want to double check.

BTW once you've deleted the Reality subfolder inside the DS plugins folder (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\Reality), then it should no longer try to load Reality when you start DS. That is not fixing Reality, but at least you can then start DS.
/Sigstan

Stryder87

Postby Stryder87 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 am

sigstan wrote:Hmm, it should show up provided both DAZ Studio and Reality is the 64-bit version. I know you said that, but you might want to double check.

BTW once you've deleted the Reality subfolder inside the DS plugins folder (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\Reality), then it should no longer try to load Reality when you start DS. That is not fixing Reality, but at least you can then start DS.

I've confirmed that I have the latest 64bit version of Reality and my Daz is the 64bit (I knew this anyway but checked just because). Removing the subfolder did get rid of the annoying error when starting Daz, but why I can't reinstall Reality is so bizarre.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Stryder87 wrote:Removing the subfolder did get rid of the annoying error when starting Daz, but why I can't reinstall Reality is so bizarre.

There is something wrong here. Removing the Reality subfolder from DS plugins directory should remove any possibility of DAZ trying to load Reality and giving an error message. As far as I know the existence of the directory it is the only thing that allows DS to know that there is such a thing as a Reality plugin.

I have just tried moving the directory out of the plugin directory (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins) and without doing anything else it disappears from DS as soon as I start DS again.

There should be no possibility of DS giving an error message, if you have removed the Reality directory from DS plugins directory.

If you upload your DAZ Studio log file it might help us determining what is going on (what directories are involved). This can be found under DS Menu -> Help -> Trouble shooting -> View log file.
/Sigstan

Stryder87

Postby Stryder87 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:49 am

sigstan wrote:There is something wrong here. Removing the Reality subfolder from DS plugins directory should remove any possibility of DAZ trying to load Reality and giving an error message. As far as I know the existence of the directory it is the only thing that allows DS to know that there is such a thing as a Reality plugin.

No, this is working properly now. This all started because of that error when I was starting Daz. Now that part is fixed. It doesn't pop up any more, and Reality is no longer showing in the plugin list.

The problem is that Reality just will not install as it says Daz doesn't exist in the folder Daz is installed in (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4). The program 'dazstudio.exe' is in there. Daz runs fine. Reality simply will not acknowledge that Daz is there and allow me to install it.

Is there a registry entry somewhere I could check for that might be preventing it from installing? Maybe a brute-force way to install it? I thought I cleared out all the registry entries for it, but maybe there was something hidden somewhere.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am

If the program does know continue it means that there is an error. The program is correct, the situation is not. For example, if you install the wrong bigness you will have the same issue.
--
Paolo

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Stryder87 wrote:No, this is working properly now. This all started because of that error when I was starting Daz. Now that part is fixed. It doesn't pop up any more, and Reality is no longer showing in the plugin list.

Sorry, for some reason I read it as the error had not stopped popping up, which would have been very strange.
As far as I know there are no registry entries related to Reality's interaction with DS.
I'm out of suggestions :(
/Sigstan

Stryder87

Postby Stryder87 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Hmmmm.... looking at the .zip file in the installer, I'm wondering if it would be possible to manually install Reality? If so, could anyone give me some step-by-step instructions on where to put all the files? It doesn't look like a .msi-type install, just a 'copy files in' type.

Possible?

Return to “Troubleshooting”