Bad Allocation Error

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Gederix

Bad Allocation Error

Postby Gederix » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:05 pm

This is a new issue that just popped up in the last week but its a showstopper, driving me crazy.
The short of it is that as lux is finishing loading my scene, gets to tesselating primitives, then fails with a bad allocation error, my pc is running out of memory, luxrender needs to shut down.
So okay, Ive done 20 renders of variations the scene without issue and now suddenly this error.
I spent most of a day trying to track down the cause, deleting objects from teh scene one by one, etc etc.
No joy.
So I decide on an whim to delete some of the no longer needed scene resource folders stacked up in my reality render folder.
Scene renders.
Okay odd.
Check my drives, all have plenty of room, 70+ gigs free on my render drive. Render a few more versions of scene, error shows up again.
As of this morning I am unable to get the scene to render without error even with an empty reality folder. And I have no idea why deleting folders from my reality render folder would affect lux's ability to render a scene. But it is not coincidental, deleting folders to free space did allow the scene to render.
I am quite frankly baffled.
I have done scenes with twice the objects Im currently playing with, a whole bar scene with bottles and glass everywhere, 11 g2 and g3 figures, clothing, jewelry, etc etc etc and never had a memory allocation error. Scenes that take an hour to get to .1 samples but eventually chug away fine, renders out no crashing. And Im only using 16G ram. But always, if the scene can load, never a memory error. Computer might slow to a mind-numbing crawl for an hour or so but always pulls out once the scene gets far enough along.
Anyone, any idea at all?

I have one more piece of info that may or not be related, I noticed recently, I think I was saving out a scene subset (but I could be wrong, I will verify when I get home), and when the dialogue window came up to pick items from the scene there was loads of reality data entries, listed as if they are actual scene items, craploads, maybe a hundred. Also some octane data entries that I have no idea where they came from since I do not have octane, nor do I have any products that I am aware of that are designed for octane. But I am wondering what all the reality data entries are, if they are simply the actual reality data from the scene or if I am somehow getting stacks of repeating data thats cluttering everything up and causing this error.
The only thing I could think of to test would be to save the whole scene as a subset to strip reality data, reload into a new scene and see whats what. Which would be a nightmare in and of itself as I have done loads of tweaks in reality.
But Ive been wrestling with this for about a week now and thought Id throw it out there and see if anyone might have some useful input.

Lastly, somewhat related, how do I get lux to use a different render folder. I tried pointing lux to a new folder in the reality advanced tab, but it seems this only works if the scene is 'new'. So how do I render in a new folder if the scene is not new?

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Bad Allocation Error

Postby pciccone » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:18 pm

The memory issue is possibly connected with subdivision. Check if you have displacement/subd in some of the materials and reduce the levels of subd. Remember that each level quadruples the number of polys.

The changing of location for the render is simple: change the name of the rendered image. If it's C:\myrenders\myImage.png it will render in C:\myrenders. If it's D:\myotherrenders\myimage.png the renderings will happen in D:\myotherreenders

Cheers.
--
Paolo

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 pm

/Sigstan

Gederix

Postby Gederix » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm

So far no fix found.
Had the reality water plane in the scene with its default subd of 2, removed it, same error. I do not think that would be it since as I say I have already successfully rendered this scene over 20 times.
Tried saving as a subset, also did not work but did clear the stacks and stacks of reality data that was showing up in the collision dialogue (I was wrong about it showing up when saving subset, its when I went to set collision between two items in the scene, check it out:

craziness. Maybe reality dosnt play nice with repeatedly rendering successive versions of the same scene or something.
But still, nothing is helping, looks like I may be rebuilding from the ground up. I have managed to render other scenes so its not a general issue, just something with my current scene that suddenly showed up for no apparent reason, was working, now not working. Nothing changed in scene except figure poses, otherwise identical to the previous 20 iterations. Now refuses to render without the bad allocation error.

The kicker?
my monitor died last night in the middle of all this, oh how I laughed and laughed... :/

Gederix

Postby Gederix » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:31 am

Solved. CPU accelerated was the culprit, switched to CPU only and the error went away. Only thing I did not get time to check before I left for work this morning was if I was using cpuaccel all along and it suddenly started erroring out, or if that somehow accidentally got changed while tinkering, as I usually do not mess with that once its set. But its certainly possible.
And new monitor arriving today, TGIF FTW!

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 am

Thank you very much for letting us know, I'm glad that you found the source of the issue.
Have a great weekend.
--
Paolo

Return to “Troubleshooting”