Doubts and problems with Nvidia GTX 980 Notebook

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Frank

Doubts and problems with Nvidia GTX 980 Notebook

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:37 am

Hi to all,
I'm new to Reality, but not at all with Daz Studio and Iray rendering.
I'm having some problem with the settings of Reality

This is my configuration

ASUS-ROG G752VY
WIN 10 Home Vers.1703 64 bit
Build SO 15063.413
INTEL i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz
RAM 64GB
nVidia GeForce GTX980M 8GB

DAZ Studio 4.9.4.117 Pro Edition 64bit

Reality 4.3.1.16203

Lux Render 1.6.0 Build 16132

First of all in the Scene Configuration tab doesn't appear my Cpu. At first neither the nVidia 980... but after reinstalling the updated drivers now it's visible.
0001 reality.jpg

Second problem: when I choose the OpenCL option I get this error:

[2017-08-19 14:30:35 Severe error: 2] RUNTIME ERROR: Unknown render engine type in RenderEngine::ToProperties(): PATHOCL
0002 reality.jpg

If I turn off the OpenCL the rendering time seems much longer than with the classic Iray (that needs about 10 seconds in the simple scene attached with GF3)
0003 reality.jpg

Where am I wrong?
Thanks in advance for your support.
Francesco

Marcel2586

Re: Doubts and problems with Nvidia GTX 980 Notebook

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm

You have some problems with your graphic card drivers.
Do first update your drivers and not your game assistant, god knows drivers these days. Then try to do a search for Sigstan on this site, he is a kind of guru about nVidia. I think your problem is discussed somewhere on this forum.
But than, you will grab back to the old luxrender render engine as it is superb, even with the very long render times.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am

Thanks for your kind advice @Marcel2586; I'll try to follow them, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Don't know about being a guru :D

Yes, it sounds like a driver issue, although the particular error message, is not one I have seen before. You will have to install NVIDIA drivers using custom and ticking "Clean Install", otherwise it might not work.

To get your CPU registered you need to download and install Intel OpenCL drivers, which can be found here (bottom of page):

CPU accelerated using Mono-directional and Sobol should be a lot faster than Iray in CPU-mode. You might want to check out this for more info on the various render modes:

I recommend starting with either non-accelerated mode or CPU-accelerated mode as OpenCL mode has more restrictions.

A good beginner guide would be PlatnumK's tutorial:
/Sigstan

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes, you are a Guru about drivers. nuf said!
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Frank

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Sigstan, thanks for your support.
I've downloaded the Intel Open Cl Drivers and now they appear in the box within the Nvidia one.
I had done the "custom and clear install" but it still doesn't work althought I've done a second installation after the Intel's one. The log message is still the same.
I'm thinking about reinstall Reality, but I'm not sure if there will be some registration problems.
Another strange thing is that rendering mode CPU No Acceleration seems faster than the boost one!
Thanks again for your attention.
Francesco

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 am

/Sigstan

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 am

Hi again Sigstan and thanks again for your kindness and patience.
I've reinstalled Reality. At first launch of Daz I got this warning, so I checked my Kaspersky firewall and I verify the applications. It seem all right, but I 've trusted them at the maximun level.
Immagine.jpg

Here's a screen shot of a very simple scene... a cube with a preset Iray shader (14" time rendering in Daz)
0000000000 01.jpg

0000000000 02.jpg

In Reality I get only this result:

0000000000 07.jpg

0000000000 08.jpg

Things doesn't change in I use only Cpu (accelerate or not, boosted or not)... after few minute the rusult it's very similar.
Obviously I'm falling in some points...
Thanks again, I really appreciate your kindness.

Gederix

Postby Gederix » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:56 am

Reality cannot read iray procedural shaders, or any shader that is generating the textures 'on the fly' as far as I know.
Reality has its own procedural shaders you might be able to build a granite texture with, here's an intro tutorial on the basics:

Some shaders do have image maps, I know for sure some 3delight shaders do anyway as I have used them for ground (grass, woodland floor, etc) so you might be able to find one to suit your needs.
Also I cannot tell from your images what youre doing with your light(s) and camera but luxrender is showing you have the kernel set to autolinear, it should be set to linear. You can fix it either by going into the camera tab in reality and turning on exposure controls, then restarting the render, or by manually switching it in luxrender while the render is running. Autolinear tries to balance the light/exposure automatically, which means any adjusting the lights during the render will appear to have no effect.
For materials presets like granite, there is a thread here where people are making and sharing presets, plus a tutorial on how to use them.

I did not see granite, there is a grunge brick wall, but you could always ask, someone might be willing to build one for you.
Last edited by Gederix on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks a lot Gederix! I didn't know that Reality cannot read Iray shader...I've a lot to learn about Reality...
The first link doesn't work, but probably it's the same that sigstan had posted, isnt'it?
I'm going to try your advice. Thanks again for the moment.
All the best.
Francesco

Return to “Troubleshooting”