Reality Farming

Your opinion counts. Here we ask about your opinion and you have the opportunity to voice it.
FilthyAppetite

Reality Farming

Postby FilthyAppetite » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm thinking about starting a Reality Render Farming Group,
I noticed that Luxrender can be set to work across networks via WAN/Lan .. I havent done the research yet to try and setup a WAN farm yet.
But I think it would be cool to get some people that have extra PC's like myself to get together for some faster renders ..

I envision the system would work pretty good, as the management system in Luxrender doesnt seem to be dependent on a node failing, so that gives each user in the group control to take his own group down, for whatever reason and not effect the render of whomever was using it.

Things to do list,

Setup a webpage - with user accounts, so not just anyone can get server IP's.
See if it's possible to setup a webpage that shows servers online/offline - open/busy, and basic stat's .. (as to match GPU's, CPU's, Ram etc)

More to come, and add others ideas.
Nodes
Intel 2x4790k 32gb / Intel x5670x2 40gb / AMD 8350 32gb / AMD 965 16gb / AMD 940 8gb /AMD 1045t 8gb / AMD 955 8gb

FilthyAppetite

Re: Reality Farming

Postby FilthyAppetite » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Doing some research, wish I knew more about setting this up.. but seems still infantcy type stuff...
Nodes
Intel 2x4790k 32gb / Intel x5670x2 40gb / AMD 8350 32gb / AMD 965 16gb / AMD 940 8gb /AMD 1045t 8gb / AMD 955 8gb

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Good idea,
I have always my computer on, 40% not used or playing music in the background.
And then i have a Nas system doing nothing. I could use its limited power for others.
But than, this need to build in into luxrender, but i like the idea to build a farm, just click Share power and use power from idle computers. Maybe There could be made a Nas linux installer made, especially to use unused CPU.
Mister Paolo?
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Reggie68

Postby Reggie68 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:34 am

I doubt it would ever be practical with the amount of data that's involved.

FilthyAppetite

Postby FilthyAppetite » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:21 am

I think that would depend on upload connections,
I have looked at some options for controlling the servers, but requires a Main server to host everything... sadly I do not have the money to rent one, I was going to try the website route and find some plugins if they exists to show servers online but havent found that yet..Website would be free I think, if I run it off my NAS, or just use one of the free hosts if it supports the plugins I can find... most free websites, dont give you shell access to install server software so eh...

There is also a big concern I've having with this setup, and it has to do with luxrender... more of a bug for the program... that's if I do not goto the network tab and drop the servers manually sometimes they will not get dropped if Luxrender doesn't exit properly... leaving the nodes running with no way to stop it.
Nodes

stwaidele

Postby stwaidele » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am

Maybe I can help out with some information. I render my pictures on three machines: My MacBook pro (as master), a Windows-PC in my LAN and a linux server on the internet. Works fine on all plattforms.

Issues and experience:
  • There is quite a bit of traffic when the geometries and textures are being distributed, so I add only one slave at a time to the setup, wait until the data is there and continue with the other slave. This keeps the luxrender-GUI from freezing. It is probably not practical to transfer all the data to a system that is on the "wrong side" of ADSL.
  • I have not yet found a possibility to set a password on the luxrender-slaves to prevent unauthorized access.
  • Another problem is that if the network-connection is interrupted, the master stops working correctly while the slaves still grind away. So CPU-power is wasted, and you wake up in the morning only to see that your render stopped shortly past midnight :(
  • Also, the load on the master's CPU is quite high. I would love to have the possibility to delegate the rendering to the slaves, actually freeing the master from the numbercrunching.

I think individual PC in the home of users will not be easy/efficient to share with others. But renting some internet-servers together and sharing their CPU-power could be possible.

My 0.02€,

Stefan

PS: Just to correct a missunderstanding: The distributed rendering and the issues above are LUXRENDER-issues, not strictly REALITY.

Return to “Audience Participation”