AMD FireRender vs LuxRender

Your opinion counts. Here we ask about your opinion and you have the opportunity to voice it.
rattletat

AMD FireRender vs LuxRender

Postby rattletat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:53 am

How similar is AMD's FireRender compared to LuxRender? Both are based on OpenCL. Are they different attempts using OpenCL for rendering, or is LuxRender more specialized form of the FireRender engine. Both are open sourced.

Is there any indication that Reality could work with AMD's FireRender team in the future for implementation of their engine into Daz and Poser products?

Maybe Paolo should try to reach out to AMD since AMD seems very interested in handing out free kits to developers like him for implementation of their open source projects.

What are your thoughts on FireRender Paolo?

Yesterday AMD talk about FireRenderer (which looks very similar to Reality plugin) and Limitless - a platform like Daz. Just a heads up too :D

fuzzy70

Re: AMD FireRender vs LuxRender

Postby fuzzy70 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 am

I have not had a chance to read through it but at a guess I would say it is pretty much AMD's version of Iray but using OpenCL instead of Nvidia's propriety CUDA technology, what I skimmed through seems to point to a lot of similarities to Iray.

Iray has been around quite a few years, long before DAZ decided to implement it into studio so it has surprised me that AMD hadn't created their own version sooner.

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:11 am

Hi.
We are aware of the FireRender, in fact Dade, the main developer of Lux, works on that, AFAIK. Can't comment at this time, but I agree that it is interesting.

Thank you.
--
Paolo

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:17 am

Looking at the specs, it is Windows-only, which automatically takes it out of the picture. If AMD will release a multi-platform version then it might be of interest.
--
Paolo

rattletat

Postby rattletat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:32 am

pciccone wrote:Looking at the specs, it is Windows-only, which automatically takes it out of the picture. If AMD will release a multi-platform version then it might be of interest.

I visited the issue again:

Like FireRays, FireRender is platform neutral, so it can work on Linux®, Windows®, and Mac OS. It works on AMD hardware, and on hardware from other manufacturers.

Source: http://developer.amd.com/community/blog ... -renderer/

Maybe you can get in touch with Bruno Stefanizzi who is Senior Manager for AMD FirePro Developer Technology at AMD

Return to “Audience Participation”