How Do I Use HDR Files?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
Nathanomir

How Do I Use HDR Files?

Postby Nathanomir » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 pm

I just picked up some free HDR files from HDRMaps.com. For the life of me, I don't remember what to do next.

Don't they have to be converted or unpacked?
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

sigstan

Re: How Do I Use HDR Files?

Postby sigstan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:30 am

Nathanomir wrote:I just picked up some free HDR files from HDRMaps.com. For the life of me, I don't remember what to do next.

Don't they have to be converted or unpacked?

No they should not need any conversion or unpacking other than unzipping.

If an IBL file is included just point to this from Reality's Lights tab and Reality should set it up automatically.

Otherwise just load up one of Reality's IBLs and in DS and change the diffuse image for the RealityIBLSphere to the background image (usually *_Bg.jpg). Make sure you don't move the IBL sphere initially. Then in Reality's Lights tab you can just point the IBL path to your *.hdr file and you should be all set for rendering.

If the IBL is missing and you want a more permanent solution, then see next post.
Last edited by sigstan on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Sigstan

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:39 am

If you want a more permanent re-usable solution, then create an IBL-file (just a text-file) and from then on you can just point to this from Reality's lights tab. I've included a template IBL, that hopefully should be fairly self-explanatory. Basically just replace ExampleIBL with whatever background and HDR file file you have.

Note the site does not like the *.ibl extension, so I have uploaded it as *.txt and you can just rename it:
ExampleIBL.txt
(380 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
/Sigstan

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Thank you, Sigstan.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Return to “General”