RTX Performance in Lux

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
DeviantShade

RTX Performance in Lux

Postby DeviantShade » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:24 am

Has anyone tried OpenCL rendering in Reality with a RTX Card? According to Luxmark they should perform very well, but I want to know for sure since they are a pretty big investment.
Crossing the Uncanny Valley

sigstan

Re: RTX Performance in Lux

Postby sigstan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:34 am

I don't actually know about how it performs with Reality, but you're right about RTX cards and Luxmark:
https://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewtopic.php?t=553&start=20

Unless there is some kind of driver-incompability with Reality, then the result should be stellar although pretty expensive.
/Sigstan

DeviantShade

Postby DeviantShade » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

WOW! That is impressive. Although am I correct in understanding that these benchmarks are from Luxmark3.1 which runs the new version of Luxcorender that Reality does not currently support?

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm

DeviantShade wrote:WOW! That is impressive. Although am I correct in understanding that these benchmarks are from Luxmark3.1 which runs the new version of Luxcorender that Reality does not currently support?

I'm a bit unclear on which Luxcore version Luxmark 3.1 actually runs on, but even if it is a newer one, I would expect performance to be comparable on the Luxcore version that Reality uses. Current development on LuxcoreRenderer seems more about adding new features, than performance. But again I do not know for sure, since I do not have an RTX 2080 :(
Last edited by sigstan on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Sigstan

DeviantShade

Postby DeviantShade » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:48 am

The enormous price tag and uncertainty around performance is currently keeping me from getting one. Another major concern is the fact that NVIDIA seems to have no plans to support OpenCL 2.0 which Intel and AMD have been supporting for years.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 am

DeviantShade wrote:The enormous price tag and uncertainty around performance is currently keeping me from getting one. Another major concern is the fact that NVIDIA seems to have no plans to support OpenCL 2.0 which Intel and AMD have been supporting for years.

Yeah, it is expensive.

AMD is rumored to launch a new GPU (Navi) sometime next year that will match the midrange Nvidia RTX line and be cheaper:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -2070-250/

But then there is always a better solution on the horizon :)
/Sigstan

Return to “General”