What kind of models does Lux prefer?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
TrekkieGrrrl

What kind of models does Lux prefer?

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sat May 14, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm in the process of making some models for Poser, and since I personally render almost everything in Lux, I want the models to look nice there as well. But I've hit an odd snag. Things that render beautifully in Poser comes out with odd facets/shadows in Lux.
Now, I know that Firefly is fairly forgiving, but I just can't seem to find a way to fix this for Lux, because I don't know what I'm supposed to fix.

Model is made in Hexagon 2.5. Rendered partly in PP2014, latest updates, partly in Lux with reality 4, both also latest updates. Win 10 DK

Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments
2016-05-14 (4).png
Render settings
2016-05-14.png
Materials, just standard glossy
2016-05-14 (3).png
Wireframe in Hexagon (before triangulation - that didn't make any difference btw)
2016-05-14 (2).png
Wireframe as seen in Poser
BookCasePoserrender3.png
How it looks in Poser
BookCaseLuxRender2.png
How it turns out in Reality/Lux

TrekkieGrrrl

Re: What kind of models does Lux prefer?

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm

(oh and I added a few bits on the shelves to give an idea of its size and to show that these renders just as they're supposed to. I didn't bother slapping on a glass shader for the Poser render)

They're rendered in the Render Room that comes with Reality.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi.
There is no special modeling recipe, Reality will convert the model to the right geometry. You jus need to keep in mind the usual modeling rules that you find in other programs:

- Avoid n-gons. Use triangles or quads only
- Make sure that the normals are oriented correctly. Poser doesn't care, Lux does very much.
- Make sure that every surface has UV and that the UVs are mapped cottectly.

If those rules check out then you will be fine. Also, if a surface is expected to be rendered as glass, it should have thickness.

Hope this helps.
--
Paolo

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sat May 14, 2016 8:21 pm

What you see in your render is the classic result of normals not being oriented correctly. In Blender it's very easy to re-orient them. Once that's done, the model will render correctly.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I think that smooth poligons are on in poser
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sat May 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I rarely model ngons anyway - I stick to box modeling for the most parts as it's easiest :)

But it is NOT a question of inverted normals, I checked for that, and tried inverting them (both in Poser and UV Mapper Pro) - then the thing rendered all wonky in both Poser AND Lux. Also, the bookcase is a simple box, and there's no reason why part if it should be inverted and the rest not. (at least as far as I can figure) - it is only at the sides, nowhere else. Hm. I may try running it though STOMP, but that never helped on the other prop with the same problems - what helped there was remapping it, but I already tried that approach here and it didn't do any difference.

Smooth polygons in Poser shouldn't affect how Lux renders? Or...?

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sat May 14, 2016 11:39 pm

It's not a matter of inverted normals in the whole figure but inconsistent normals. That means that some normals are oriented in the opposite way of the others in the portion of the mesh. From your render it certainly looks like that is the issue.
--
Paolo

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sun May 15, 2016 11:30 am

I agree, but I just don't see how some of the nnormals can have a different orientation than the rest. Just to test it, I ran a "unify Normals" on the thing in Hexagon (Sorry but Blender is completely greek to me) and now the "shadow" is visible both in Poser AND Lux :/

I may have to settle for this just looking good in Poser, I simply can't figure out how to fix this... Nor find the cause. All of the side is one single vertice (or it was, prior to triangulation) - I just can't figure out WHY some of the normals should go wonky, and for that matter, why THERE :/

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sun May 15, 2016 11:38 am

Flipping normals is a very common byproduct of modeling. It happens with pretty much every program. I would suggest, if you want to build models, to avoid using Hexagon. That is because the program is abandonware and will never be updated. You are better off investing time in learning a program that has a future and that provides more professional features, like correct treatment of normals.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Attachments
Hofner Violin Bass Full Resized.jpg
Lyne
:D

Return to “General”