"Photo-realism" a dead end?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
sigstan

"Photo-realism" a dead end?

Postby sigstan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:11 am

I came across this YouTube video today: and I thought it was really interesting and poses some very relevant questions about "photo-realism"

If you are in this forum, then you are probably striving to create scenes that are as realistic as possible and Reality/Luxrender are really great tools helping with this. But the downside is that we sometimes tend to loose sight of what we are trying to achieve and why.

Now in computer games and to some degree 3D animation there is a natural trend towards presenting the viewer/player with something as close to reality as possible, simply because it heightens the viewers/players immersion. But I'm really not sure that the same applies to 3D still renders.

Would a 3D based render that could not be distinguished from reality automatically be considered art? - The answer is probably not, because unless the viewer is aware and appreciates how it was created. If not, then it might as well just be a photo. If you want to create art, then you have to add more to a scene than just "reality". You have to balance both technical skills and inspiration, which is something I personally find to be very hard.

Now I believe that the strength of 3D based renders is actually that you can create scenes that would be hard, impossible or just improbable in reality from any view point you like and in any detail level you want. Now THAT can actually be used to create art.

Just my 10c :geek:
/Sigstan

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: "Photo-realism" a dead end?

Postby pciccone » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Girls.

You talk about photos as if they are not art. They are. A photo can be very artistic, it depends on how it was made. People take photos, artist make them. The method, the procedure does not matter. The viewer does not have to be aware of the method employed to make art, in fact the method, the effort, the time and the tools do not matter at all. Only the result does.

Thank you for introducing such a stimulating subject.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:52 am

/Sigstan

Nathanomir

Postby Nathanomir » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:33 pm

"Photo-realism" is one of those things that seems just outside my grasp. No matter the camera setting, the lights, the light settings, the textures, the best I can get is what looks like a photograph that's been painted over. And I'm fine with that now. Considering I work mostly in the fantasy genre, it adds a level of charm to even bleak, gritty post-apocalyptic scenes. That, in turn, has pushed me to study composition to ensure that every pixel of the scene helps convey the story. Personally, I think a comment of "Such madness and villainy in one picture," is much more satisfying than "Is she real or 3D?"

That's my wooden nickel's worth.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Sigstan,

Rembrandt van Rijn, Johannes Vermeer, Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo Buonarroti tried to make there art as real as possible.
And not to mention all the statues from the Greece empire and Roman empire, the names that are lost in time, where and are marvelous.
If you look at David, by Donatello, it is so life like. Artists and humanity has always tried to reproduce there environment as life like as possible.
Go to the caves of lascaux, France and look at the art from the cave dwellers.

Yes, i try to do photo-realism or try to go near it.
My best attempt was sandwich and my second was Streets of London by Stonemason.

And some, the most, is attempt to.
Is there a niche for photo realistic renders? Yes there is.
Is it a big corporation or your own imagination.

Giorgio Moroder (the Italian synth player guy who wrote and played "I feel love' with Donna Summer, from Veneto. Veneto sounds familiar? this is Also the birthplace of mr. Paolo Ciccone) said, Art starts in your head, the rest are just tools to help you express yourself, he did it with synths and gave us, just as J. M. Jarre the modern music. When Robert Moog tried to sell his first synth at Woodstock 1969, He sold just one synth. Can you imagine music now without synths? i don't.

And i really like to play a game with my VR equipped smartphone and play "The last of us" at photo-realism.
But then, this is my point of view.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Return to “General”