My First Book Cover

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
Nathanomir

My First Book Cover

Postby Nathanomir » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 pm

If you can't afford to hire someone to paint the cover to your book, and you know something about 3D art, you make it yourself.

Here is the cover to my first book, A Path of Stones, courtesy of DAZ Studio, Reality, and Luxrender.

A few things I learned about book covers:

1. They are marketing. They do not necessarily convey what is inside. In the book, Aura wears a dress. Uh, no 3D dress likes a dramatic pose. But for a cover, pants are permissible. If you've ever seen the cover to one of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels, Harry Dresden wears a hat. He never wears a hat in the stories, but that is an inside joke between the artist and Butcher. So, anything goes as long as it's attention getting.

2. Covers aren't art in the classical sense. In the original, there is a lot of wasted space at the top. We normally wouldn't tolerate wasted space, but that is where the title goes. If you're curious as to what it looks like without the title, it's up on my DeviantArt page.

3. My non-photorealism (something I've tried to overcome) actually works well for the fantasy genre. Most fantasy covers are paintings.

4. Frank Frazetta emphasized characters, action, and drama. No landscapes! You cannot go wrong studying THE MAN!

5. Book covers, or any other art in print, should be big. It isn't a problem to shrink them, but never blow them up. They will pixelate like crazy. The first render was 100%, and it looked fuzzy, because I had to blow it up to fit a 6x9 template. So, this one was rendered at 200%. Yeah. 500 s/P per ten hours, but it was worth it. I'll let it render another 1,500 s/P before I upload it.

I have to hand it to you, Paolo. This is part your credit, you know.
Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

fuzzy70

Re: My First Book Cover

Postby fuzzy70 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Nice one and well done Nathanomir :)

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Grats Nathanomir, it looks great. Hope your book is successful.
/Sigstan

Kimberly58

Postby Kimberly58 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Very nicely done! Good luck with the book.

Return to “General”