Any documentation on Reality and LuxRender?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
andrewd084

Any documentation on Reality and LuxRender?

Postby andrewd084 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:43 pm

As I try to get more in-depth in my renders, I often find myself wondering if the assumptions I'm making about translations between reality and luxrender terminology are accurate.

For instance, when I look at the information here (http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials), I don't know if Reality's metal is shiny metal, metal 2, or mirror. I don't know if there's a way to use the glossy translucent or matte translucent materials through Reality - I know there's a translucency check box, but I don't know if that changes the material to those or does something else entirely (and that box doesn't have any of those parameters listed in LuxRender information). I can't figure out what Reality's skin material is at all, or what a hair mask is (in lux terms). I'd like to know if it's even possible to use glass 2.

I realize that Reality doesn't take advantage of all of 1.6 features, but I can't really tell what's there and what isn't. The .pdf that comes with Reality is pretty thorough in its own way, but not really helpful here. Is there any more technical information somewhere that explains the relationship between reality and lux in a little more detail?

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Any documentation on Reality and LuxRender?

Postby pciccone » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:13 am

Hi.
Reality is designed to simplify them use of Lux. To that aim it does not use the same, extremely technical and sometimes convoluted, terminology of Lux. Reality is not a 1-to-1 interface to Lux. For that you need to use Blender and LuxBlend.
Reality's metal is Metal2. The translucency flag enabled Glossy or Matte translucent.
The Skin material of Reality is a Mix material that combines, among other things, Glossy Trans. With Metal2.

Hope this helps.
--
Paolo

andrewd084

Re: Any documentation on Reality and LuxRender?

Postby andrewd084 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 am

It does help a bit, thanks :)

Return to “General”