Good material for steel blades?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
maddoctor

Good material for steel blades?

Postby maddoctor » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

I'm looking for a good material for steel blades, like swords, axes, arrow tips and so on
There is no such metal preset to select and trying to find a proper metal file (.nk?) for steel proved to be impossible because there are loads of steel varieties. But I'm looking for one that looks good on blades.
Any ideas?

Gederix

Re: Good material for steel blades?

Postby Gederix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Very subjective. I use titanium or silver most often. Sometimes I combine the texture that comes with the blade with the metal preset, sometimes I uncheck that box.
And usually I have to dial down the bump/normal settings quite a bit, and if using bump/normal combo make sure the bump part of the texture math is at .0008 (reverts to 1 when you convert the blade to metal, have to fix manually).
The fact that none of the metal presets are named steel should not be interpreted as you cant have steel, look at page 82 of the RUG, theres a chart that shows you the various metals at increasing increments of polish.

Marcel2586

Re: Good material for steel blades?

Postby Marcel2586 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:56 am

Maddocter,

You can read my topic about metals and textured metals.
http://preta3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=426

If you go for new metals uncheck the custom metals box.
And sometimes i use only glossy with metal textures.
It all depends what your main goal is and work.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Return to “General”