IBL Sphere not loading

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
oroboy

IBL Sphere not loading

Postby oroboy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Hey everyone, just purchased new PC tablet computer, as well as Poser 11 Pro. Up until now I've been using a MacBook Pro (along with Poser Pro 2014 & Reality 4.3.1), so I was excited to try the Windows version.

Just some quick hardware info:
i7-6567U@3.30GHz
16GB RAM
nVidia Quadro m1000m
Intel Iris Graphics 550
Windows 10 Pro
(system fully updated, all graphics drivers fully updated)
_____
Poser 11 Pro (64bit), Reality 4.3.1.16203, Luxrender 1.6

Now the problem: Everytime I load Reality, I select IBL to light the scene and load a sIBL file into it. I can see that it loads into Poser (see attached Poser Settings), but there is no IBL image in the background. So everything seems to load except the image itself. Rendering with Luxrender shows that the image is there, but squashed down to a thin ribbon-like image that stretches across the 'horizon' in the background (see sIBL Render). It hardly provides any light at all.

Has anyone else experienced this happening to them? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Reality several times... the rest of the lighting features/settings/etc. in Reality works, only the IBL is not working properly.

I am also attaching the lxs file, if it helps anyone to spot the problem. Any help would be appreciated - thanks in advance.
Attachments
LXS File.txt
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
sIBL Render.png
Poser Settings.jpg

sigstan

Re: IBL Sphere not loading

Postby sigstan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 am

I'm not a Poser user, but as far as I can see from the attached scene file the IBL is included. I'm wondering if it is somehow obscured. There is a mentioning of background material in the scene, so try making a scene with just the sphere and no ground, back ground.
Otherwise I hope another Reality Poser user will be able to help you.
/Sigstan

oroboy

Postby oroboy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Even though you're not a Poser user, thanks for at least taking the time to reply, Sigstan - much appreciated.

Yeah, I don't know why it's acting like this... I know that the Reality IBL sphere loads, but poser also seems to have a default sphere in the background (probably new to Poser 11, as PP2014 never had a sphere until you injected one into the scene). I've tried zooming out of the sphere, but I don't see 2 spheres, just the poser one. It's also curious how squashed the IBL image gets when projected onto the sphere... oh well, I've just been using regular meshlights to light my scenes, but I'd eventually want to use IBL. Hopefully someone might have some sort of suggestion out there.

oroboy

Postby oroboy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 am

Finally found out what was wrong with this problem I was having...

Poser's background (in Poser Pro 11) now comes with it's own dome in the background, where in the past (Poser Pro 2014,etc.) it was just a ground plane and open-space background. The diameter of the Poser dome is smaller than Reality's IBL Sphere, so it blocks out the light being emitted from the IBL Sphere.

For anyone else who might encounter this... before rendering, go into the 'Materials' tab in Reality, then open GROUND, click on the eye (Visibility) of 'Background' to turn off visibility. Although you can if you want to, it is not necessary to turn off visibility for the ground plane; only the background dome hides the IBL light. You don't need to uncheck 'Visibility' on the properties tab for Ground in Poser, just doing it in Reality is good enough.

The problem was that before I upgraded to Poser Pro 11, I never had to worry about the Ground plane when using Reality's IBL lighting, because it never blocked the light source. Now with 11's new background dome, I have to remember to turn off visibility all the time... a bit annoying.

Hope this tip saves some of you from some headaches.

Return to “Troubleshooting”