RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2.

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
someyahoo

RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2.

Postby someyahoo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:40 pm

I bought Daz and Poser versions of Reality, but it won't work with OpenCL because I have 2 video cards. Note that it works fine with CPU, just not with GPU. Also note that one main reason I bought was to get the added speed of GPU rendering. Without that, I'm better off with Iray. I can render in the CPU but it takes 12 hours before all the fireflies are gone. That is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
I tried to sign up for your message board but I never got an email, and it rejects my newly created login.

The use of a forum instead of actual support gives the impression you aren't supporting this project anymore.
Here's the issue:

OpenCL set
Reality1.png

Press Render, open log...

Render ends with this.

[2018-03-21 16:02:30 Severe error: 2] RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2.

Note that it fails whether I check both, either or none of the checkboxes.

I tried export only, edit the 001 to 011, 001, as someone suggested in the forums, but then it just crashes with a different error - invalid file format or something.

So I upgraded Lux from 1.3 to 1.6 hoping there was a fix, and I still get the same error.

I see the same error from DAZ and Blender, so it's not them.

Here's the info you ask for in the forum...

- Your Poser version and bitness (32-bit or 64-bit). Please note that Poser 9 and 10 are 32-bit only

Poser 11 Pro, 64 bit (but it doesnt matter as this affects DAZ and Blender too.

- The localization of your Poser installation (English, German, Japanese ...)

English

- Whether or not you have installed any Service Release. If you have then please specify which one

N/A I just downloaded yesterday.

- The full version of Reality, including all the four digit groups. For example: 4.2.1.16527. See the About box for this information.

Reality plugin® version 4.3.1.16203
Copyright © 2010 - Pret-a-3D. All rights reserved.
Reality plugin is a registered trademark of Pret-a-3D.
Developed by Paolo Ciccone
Visit our site at preta3d.com and the LuxRender site at luxrender.net
Reality Videos and tutorials
The Pret-a-3D YouTube channel contains several instructional videos to help you get the most out of Reality. The channel can be found here.
You can download the latest version of the "Reality User's Guide" here.
Support and news
You can post a question in the Official Reality Forum, we will reply in the shortest time possible, often in a few minutes.
You can also get information and support directly from your favorite Social Network. Please follow, circle and "Like" us on
Pinterest
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Compiled with Qt v. 4.8.6, running with 4.8.6

- The version of LuxRender that you use. For example: 1.5.1. See the About box for this information.

ver 1.6.0 build 16132

- Whether or not you are using GPU acceleration.

not successfully.

- A screenshot of the Render | Output page of Reality.

Reality1.png

- A screenshot of the Render | Scene Configuration page of Reality .
Reality3.png

- Your OS (Mac OS or Windows) and the exact version. Specify if you are running a 32 or 64 bit OS.

64 bit Win 10
Reality4.png

- What products you are using in the scene.

Any. It doesn't matter as Lux won't even start rendering, due to the Reality error.

- If asking advice on materials provide screenshot of the material settings, including all the tabs (Alpha channel, Modifiers etc).

Nope.

- If there is an issue with the quality of the image rendered, then provide a small image

Nope.
Attachments
Reality2.png

Marcel2586

Re: RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2.

Postby Marcel2586 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am

First of al, welcome to the forum where you get help from other users.

The best solution is to update your video card drivers.
It could be a solution to turn of your internal, on board video card.
Luxrender found more than Reality.

This is discussed many times.

But i did do a search for you.
http://preta3d.com/forums/search.php?keywords=RUNTIME+ERROR%3A+OpenCL+device+selection+string+has+the+wrong+length

And we are always happy to free some time help everyone on this forum.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

someyahoo

Re: RUNTIME ERROR: OpenCL device selection string has the wrong length, must be 3 instead of 2.

Postby someyahoo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks for answering.
- Video drivers are updated as of last week.
- I am not turning off my internal card - I am still using it. (this is a bad approach, to disable working features because of broken software.)
- I tried adding a 0 to the string in the export file as some of the posts suggested, but lux just refused to recognize the file after that.

someyahoo

Postby someyahoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:08 pm

:mad: Has ANYONE seen a resolution to this? I spent good money on a good graphics card and I CAN'T USE IT. Meanwhile my CPU renders are taking 10 to 48 hours! Here's a 2 and a half hour attempt from today.
2.jpg

Nyghtfall

Postby Nyghtfall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I'd like to preface my reply by saying nVidia's OpenCL support has always been completely inadequate for 3D rendering. If you want to use GPU-based OpenCL with Reality, I strongly recommend an AMD Radeon. Every AMD user I know who's tried OpenCL with Reality reported great success and phenomenal render speeds.

I used to use Reality with DAZ. I also used to own a GTX 750 Ti. It did not play well with Reality. I seem to recall encountering the same error message when I tried selecting OpenCL rendering. My conclusion was that the 750's older version of OpenCL was conflicting with my CPU's newer version (v1.2 vs v2.0). Your screenshot of your Reality settings shows the same possible conflict.

If memory serves, my solution was to uncheck my CPU in Reality. I believe Reality was finally able to send my project to Lux, but the render looked like technicolor nonsense. I blamed that on my 750's older version of OpenCL so I stopped trying to use my GPU altogether.
Last edited by Nyghtfall on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyghtfall

Postby Nyghtfall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:22 pm

After replying to your thread, I discovered my dual 1080 Ti's also have OpenCL 1.2 (You'd think nVidia would be inclined to upgrade it), so I got curious to see how well they would work with Reality. To my surprise, they did, but the render speed was more comparable to CPU rendering than GPU rendering. After 30 minutes, there was no significant, appreciable improvement in image quality.

reality.jpg
Reality Settings

This is a DAZ Original Portrait Vignette designed for showcasing characters. I created a 2 x 2ft Plane primitive and positioned it directly below the ceiling. It's the only light source.

Tonemap Settings:

Film ISO: 320
Shutter: 1
f-stop: 5.6
Gamma: 2.20

Render Time: 30 minutes

opencl.png
OpenCL Render

After rendering the test image, I enabled the Extra Boost button in Reality and tried another render for the sake of comparison. During three attempts, Lux displayed nothing but a black canvas for nearly a minute. Each time I tried to close Luxe so I could tell Reality to render again, Lux crashed.

Return to “Troubleshooting”