Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS (v2 May 2017)

MustangMike

Re: Reality Camera Lights (RCL) Freebie for DS

Postby MustangMike » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey Neils..

I grabbed your set and attempted to use one camera/light unit in Reality 4.3.1 and Lux 1.6 with no results. It could be pilot error but was wondering if you have experienced any problems with this combination?

Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:06 pm

MustangMike wrote:Hey Neils..

I grabbed your set and attempted to use one camera/light unit in Reality 4.3.1 and Lux 1.6 with no results. It could be pilot error but was wondering if you have experienced any problems with this combination?

Mike

Hello MustangMike

That is the versions I'm using at the moment, so it should be no problem, if installed correctly.

What light did you use and what specific issue did you encounter?
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:29 am

I used the round light with camera. The result was just a black "screen" in Lux. Reality recognized the camera but I didn't get am image.
I'm going to try it again today and will report the results.

Thanks,
Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:38 pm

MustangMike wrote:I used the round light with camera. The result was just a black "screen" in Lux. Reality recognized the camera but I didn't get am image.
I'm going to try it again today and will report the results.

Thanks,
Mike

Just tested with that light and see no issue. The light camera is just for positioning, so remember to change to your main scene camera, before you start your render, since otherwise you might see nothing at all. I've forgotten that too many times to count :)

Also extend and use the light handle to make sure you actually hit whatever you want to illuminate. The round light in its default state is not that big and very directional. It's meant for creating catch lights in the eyes of the model.

You can also try the RCL Mesh Light or the RCL Top Light, since they are both placed like the normal Reality lights, which should ensure that they hit anything in center of the scene.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Ah, so the camera attached to the light should not be the render camera. That would explain my problem. BTW, the reverse panorama light/camera combo works. :)

Thanks!

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:23 pm

MustangMike wrote:Ah, so the camera attached to the light should not be the render camera. That would explain my problem. BTW, the reverse panorama light/camera combo works. :)

There is nothing technically preventing a scene from being rendered through a light cameras, but I have not made sure it is possible for all the light cameras, because I didn't expect them to be used like this. The camera in the round light is probably not far enough in front of the light disc, so it is blocked when trying to render through it.

I'll make sure it is possible for all of them, when I update the package next time. But using a separate main camera will give you much more freedom in how you set up your scene.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:43 pm

Niels..

I'm doing some one light studio renders and need an Octa Box with optional grid. I have Charley's RCL set for DS but she isn't likely to add any lights to that system. Have you, by chance, made such a light and if so, would you share?

Mike

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:57 pm

MustangMike wrote:Niels..

I'm doing some one light studio renders and need an Octa Box with optional grid. I have Charley's RCL set for DS but she isn't likely to add any lights to that system. Have you, by chance, made such a light and if so, would you share?

Hi Mike
I've actually never seen that type of lighting before, but it looked interesting, so I have made a quick version that you can try out.

Just unzip the attached file, put the subset file and icon in for example My Library\Lights\RCL\Other (or just somewhere you can find it again). The *.rsb file needs to be imported via the preset manager in Reality (Menu->Presets->Preset Manager->Import).

Start position and size is same as RCL Round Light. You might want to increase size, if you are using it for key or fill. Increase to 1000 Watt for default size with grid. Grid is optional and can be disabled either by using the eye in DS or in the Reality materials tab.

Hope everything works as expected.

Happy holidays.
Attachments
RCL Octa Light v1_1.zip
(24.6 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Last edited by sigstan on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Sigstan

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Thank you very much Neils.

I'll install and use it in the render I'm setting up now.
Merry Christmas!
Mike

MustangMike

Postby MustangMike » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey Neils..

I loaded your Octabox light with grid and did a one light render. It is excellent!! Wraps the light around the model and yields an outstanding result.

Thank YOU!
Mike

Boudoir2.jpg

Return to “Tips, techniques, and recipes”