Use a Volume to Make Window Appear

Nathanomir

Use a Volume to Make Window Appear

Postby Nathanomir » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:32 am

One of the most often asked questions is "How do I get a window to appear?" The best answer is to angle the camera and lights differently, and to make sure that the window has something to reflect and refract.

But what if the camera and light is perfect for the scene as they are? What if things do exist to reflect and refract, but don't? What if, for all you've done, it still looks like just hole in that there window?

Use a volume.

I had that situation with a new set. The camera and lights were where I wanted, but the window didn't show up. It didn't even reflect the burners in front of it. Yet it was there, set to glass, and turned on.

So, I added a volume, and there it is!

The window is the common DS cube, set to a thickness of 2%. The volume is scattered, color of 006,006,006 (leave it to an old Goth to pick 666), and a scale of 2. It's just enough to fog the window a bit and get it to show up. It even helped with the reflection. Yet, it doesn't block the Moon or moonlight. Exterior volume for the cube is set to air. The cube is still set to glass, architectural, and I like to run the refraction for windows at 1.8 for flint with lead.

Sometimes, my wife wakes up grumpy. Sometimes, she lets me sleep.

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Use a Volume to Make Window Appear

Postby pciccone » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you very much for this great tip.
--
Paolo

Marcel2586

Re: Use a Volume to Make Window Appear

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Great, thank you
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock: