Ghosts?

All kind of topics about Reality Poser Edition
TrekkieGrrrl

Ghosts?

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am

Is it possible to do a ghost shader in Reality?

Like a semi-transparent, semi-glowing thing?

If it is, which parameters should I fiddle with? I know how to do it in Poser, but in Reality.. not so much...

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Ghosts?

Postby pciccone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:42 am

Absolutely. There are a couple of ways of doing that.
You can set the materials to be of type Glossy act on the Opacity and make the figure very faint. If you set the Opacity at 40% that should work. You can also use a procedural texture like Clouds or Distorted Noise to make the opacity non uniform, as if it's part of a swirling or turbulent substance. You can then set the materials to emit light ( see Modifiers tab), but make sure to set the gain for the light emission to the lowest possible settings.

You can also set all materials of the figure to be of type Null and then add an inner volume, and that will make your figure look like it was made out of fog. Any light shining on it will scatter and create a ghostly effect. You will need to fine tune the volume settings but it can be quite effective.

Hope this helps.
--
Paolo

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Oooh I must try that Null thing. I never knew what that was for :D (yes I know.. some day soon I WILL read the manual *L*)

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:53 am

Hm. With the Null and a volume they either went all uniformly transparent grey or disappeared alltogether. But I tried a combo of a cloud transparency map and volume (not sure if the volume actually did anything) but it worked. I got my ghostly deer :)
Photoshopped a bit to up the brightness on them, but all in all, it worked :)

Certainly an effect I need to play with some more :)
Attachments
LeyLines1.png
Raw render
LeyLines.jpg
Finished version

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:00 am

Cool. Thank you for posting the results. A lot can change based on the parameters used for the volumes.
--
Paolo

Return to “General”