Problem installing Reality 4.3 (OSX)

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
Crocodilian

Problem installing Reality 4.3 (OSX)

Postby Crocodilian » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Never had this problem before. Downloaded the most recent update, and it won't install. I get this error:

The configuration file /private/var/folders/xn/lm2q8kwn0lzcxbbwvlgq4c600000gn/T/AppTranslocation/B06640D8-DB1F-41A2-8C9D-B82484A79EE4/d/RealityInstaller.cfg is missing. This installation cannot continue.

Mac OSX 10.12 (Sierra).

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: Problem installing Reality 4.3 (OSX)

Postby pciccone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Hi.
Sorry, but Apple has broken compatibility with 10.12.0. Please try 12.10.1, hopefully they fixed it.

Thank you.
--
Paolo

Crocodilian

Postby Crocodilian » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:52 pm

pciccone wrote:Hi.
Sorry, but Apple has broken compatibility with 10.12.0. Please try 12.10.1, hopefully they fixed it.

Thank you.

Upgraded to 10.12.1 -- same problem . . .

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:56 pm

Sorry, this is an issue to report to Apple.
--
Paolo

Crocodilian

Postby Crocodilian » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:34 pm

pciccone wrote:Sorry, this is an issue to report to Apple.

Will do . . . I appreciate your patience

Crocodilian

Postby Crocodilian » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Um . . . could you give some details as to what you think is broken here?

Not sure how to get help from Apple support; other installers seem to work OK with 10.12.1, but Reality does not, so the response I get from them Apple boards "nothing wrong on this end".

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:36 pm

since Reality was not changed and Mac OS was, it's clear that the breakage happened in Mac OS. The same issue has been seen with other programs. Apple has botched this release. Ask an Apple Store to re-install El Capitan on your machine.
--
Paolo

cartoonMike

Postby cartoonMike » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:29 am

pciccone wrote:since Reality was not changed and Mac OS was, it's clear that the breakage happened in Mac OS. The same issue has been seen with other programs. Apple has botched this release. Ask an Apple Store to re-install El Capitan on your machine.

Uh... for me that's not gonna happen. I'd be without my Mac for a few days and for me to do that I'd have to miss deadlines and move jobs around. It'll literally cost me more than I originally paid for Reality a few times over.

What I have been doing is learning more about Superfly and am happy with the results. Been doing the same thing with DAZ Studio (substitute 3Delight and Iray for Superfly, of course). For me, I'm finding out that I don't really need Reality, as much as I'd like to use it.

When 2 sides of an issue both say "Not me/Not my problem" or variations of The Blame Game, it leaves the user in a bit of a spot. For me, Sierra is a good, solid update of MacOS 10. All the apps I use work fine. The only app that has given me any real grief is Reality. Sure, Sierra may have borked the Reality installer, but to insist on downgrading to "solve" this is a bit too much to ask, imho. Also, since I can't even install Reality, I don't know if it'll even work in Sierra...

I'm just going to wait and see if one side or the other fixes this problem, while continuing to learn more about the native renderers in both Poser and DS.

It's like that old joke about going to the doctor and saying "it hurts when I do this" and the doctor replies, "Well then don't do that."

artalba

Postby artalba » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Or Right Click on the RealityInstaller.app and select Show Package Contents, Then Navigate to Contents/MacOS and Right Click on the RealityInstaller and select Open so that the installer runs from the terminal

this works for Poser as well as Dad studio.

In Poser make sure that you are pointing to 64bit and not 32bit folder.

Crocodilian

Postby Crocodilian » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:03 pm

artalba wrote:Or Right Click on the RealityInstaller.app and select Show Package Contents, Then Navigate to Contents/MacOS and Right Click on the RealityInstaller and select Open so that the installer runs from the terminal

this works for Poser as well as Dad studio.

In Poser make sure that you are pointing to 64bit and not 32bit folder.

Wow !!

This works . . . needs to go up at top as a sticky-- this was a real gotcha, and this very simple fix, fixes it.

Note to Paolo . . . this should be in bold face on the Mac download . . . makes it possible to install Reality again.

Artalba, we're in your debt

Return to “Troubleshooting”