Not usable with cross platform luxrender

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
timmy

Re: Not usable with cross platform luxrender

Postby timmy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi there

The test with the virtual machine I didn't yet do. It's not too much use, since I won't switch back to a VM. It's just too slow and restrictive.

Instead, I gave 3Delight a whirl. As it turns out, there is now no longer a need to run any Ribdepends manually; there is a button under advanced tab, if you click that you get two items: a folder with all the textures, shaders etc, and a Rib file. To my disappointment, the Rib file had still some path errors. not absolute C:/ paths, but still relative paths that weren't correct. I manually edited them, and rendering then worked.
But then I discovered something nice: that Rib file isn't the only one. Inside the folder with the textures is also a Rib file. And lo and behold, that one has all the correct (local) paths. Loading that file in the renderer works like a charm. No editing or hacking required.

At this time, I'm more result-focused than focused on real or perceived quality differences between renderers so I think that for now, I will stick with this. Sorry to waste all of your time... and $20 of mine... But it was a good learning experience in any case.
And who knows, maybe that thing with the texture collection sorts itself out one fine day... :-)

fuzzy70

Re: Not usable with cross platform luxrender

Postby fuzzy70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I have to say I'm intrigued purely from a technical point of view (plus love challenges lol).

If I get a chance over the next week or so I'll install Linux in a VM and install DS & Reality in it via Wine. Reason being that in my eyes (plus looking at my scene files with "Texture Collection") Reality is saving the texture files somewhere & it's figuring out where Wine is putting them, it's been a long time since I have played with Wine but it will come back to me on how it translates file paths & where it puts them etc.

Looking at an example .lxs scene file there is a few things to note, 1st line is the .lxs file path and 2nd is where the original is stored on my machine.

Code: Select all

"string filename" ["Claire4-Resources/textures/Paladin2k15/P2k15_02__NORMAL.png"]

F:\Poser Content\Textures\runtime\textures\Luthbel\Paladin2k15\P2k15_02__NORMAL.jpg

This example was taken from a scene created on a Windows box.

• The .lxs uses Unix style directory separators "/" compared to Windows "\" ones, which Reality creates I presume because Lux prefers that format and automatically translates it when it loads the scene if not running on a Unix based FS (otherwise Lux in Windows would fail using "/" separators).
  • The files are converted to .png format as the original was a .jpg (not important but listed for completeness).
  • The paths are truncated to only include the actual parent directory the image/texture is stored in (again not of any real importance)
  • The path is Relative and not Absolute
The 1st point is the one where a possible fix could be achieved by either a shell script or a global find/replace in a text editor. Until I install the VM & have a play to discover where Wine is actually saving the files Reality collects then I'm stabbing in the dark & just following logic. If there is a common "root" path then the job can proably be done with a script on any scene, otherwise using a text editor is not then end of the world :lol:

I do have a couple of Linux boxes but I run them headless and administer them remotely & setting up a monitor/kb/mouse is not worth the hassle, setting up a VM will actually be quicker and easier in my case plus believe it or not the VM will be more powerful.

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”