Dynamic Hair

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
cowdog

Dynamic Hair

Postby cowdog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm

Well, I suspect this forum is pretty much dead, but on the chance that someone has a workaround for this I'm going to explore this issue...

When using dForce hair, a lot of variants fail to materialize under Reality/Luxrender, so I end up with a bald character. Is there a workaround for this?

Now that Reality has been made opensource, has anyone made any changes/enhancements?

Marcel2586

Re: Dynamic Hair

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:54 pm

As far as i know, it wont work as Reality and Luxrender for for Daz studio do not support hair. I think Daniel Wright can give you more information about this. If he is non responsive over here, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/438930506637982/ and i will let you in to the group. ask again your question and put Daniel in your question. He can help you further.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Okay. Thanks. I just put in a request to join the above group...

PlatnumK

Postby PlatnumK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:59 am

Getting Strand based dforce hair to work with reality/lux is tricky but can be done, You need to apply the same princable as getting LAMH to work but with a few minor changes to the hairs properties (I can't quite remember what its called) which you need to change so that the hair shows fully in the view port, you then have to save the hair as an obj, Then re-import the obj (doing this will give the hair a physical mesh which reality needs). A word of warning - make sure your character is in its final pose as once saved out & re-imported in the hair becomes non rigged and cannot be posed.

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Yeah, I tried exporting as an object, but I'm missing the critical step that converts the hair into polygons. LAMH has an OBJ button, but I don't believe that's applicable here. When I open the object in Blender, I see all the hair. Is there a conversion utility there? I can't find one in DAZ. Importing the hair as an object does not create a mesh for Lux to render, otherwise.

I do understand that this is the final step and that the hair dynamics/pose need to be set before the final process.

PlatnumK

Postby PlatnumK » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:20 pm

Make sure you have the hair selected in the scene pane, Then under the parameters pane look for Viewport Line Tessellation & set it to 3 (default is 0) this will then make the hair geometry appear.

The only other way I know off it to import it into blender then export back out again, then load the exported obj into daz

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Well, that sort of worked. What I see in Reality/Lux is exactly what I see when I select NVIDEA Iray texturing in the viewport, i.e. strands are visible but it's the equivalent of what I'd call 'old crone hair'. I tested 2 dForce hairstyles and got the same results after setting Viewport Line Tessellation to 3.

cowdog

Postby cowdog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Aha! I found the missing ingredient! So, not only do you have to set Viewport Line Tessellation Sides to 3, but you also need to enable Preview PR Hairs, i.e. On. With that there's no need to export an object file or anything else. Just bring up the Reality dialog and render away.

Thank you for your help!

Return to “Troubleshooting”