Cannot change filename

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
maddoctor

Re: Cannot change filename

Postby maddoctor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:27 am

Your problem got me a bit curious. What do you see if you fire up Reality without opening Studio?
Run the Reality.exe without first opening Studio and see if it's all default settings or if it's "broken".

If it's broken even there, go to Documents\Pret-a-3D\Reality and see what's inside. Since you re-installed recently it should have only one file ASCEL.db but I'm not sure if uninstalling Reality removes that folder, I think it keeps it there so if you re-install you can keep your materials but I'm not sure.

Copy everything (including the ASCEL.db) and put then in a temporary folder or a zip file. The Documents\Pret-a-3D\Reality folder should be completely empty then fire up Reality again. Your material settings will be gone but don't worry about that yet. Check if the problem still exist or not. If the problem is fixed and you want your materials back, return ASCEL.db and all other .db files back to their position. If Reality starts behaving erratically after you move them back then there is a problem with those.

Just my 2 cents.

Kelderek

Postby Kelderek » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:16 pm

I started Reality directly from reality.exe, without having DS open... and the default settings are there! Start screen looks perfectly "unbroken".

Then I started Reality from DS, with a test scene loaded, and behold! Reality works again! Default filename path is there and can be changed, frame size is not "stuck" etc...

Rebooted the PC and tested again. Everything still OK!

Did the "direct start" from Reality.exe do something that fixed the problem? Hopefully, it did, but I don't know what it did...

Let's see if Reality keeps behaving as expected... fingers crossed! :D

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:09 am

/Sigstan

Kelderek

Postby Kelderek » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:01 am

It didn't help for long, the problem is back... :(

I did some testing by starting Reality from DS and directly with reality.exe and I see a pattern here:

With DS closed:

- Starting Reality from reality.exe: Reality is OK!

With DS open:

- Starting Reality from reality.exe: Reality broken
- Starting Reality from DS: Reality broken

Conclusion. The problem only occurs when DS is running.
It appears to have something to do with the connection between Reality and DS.

After re-installing Reality (which I have done a thousand times now :x ), I note that I get the following message when I open DS for the first time:

This message comes up even if I have installed Reality and started DS with anti-virus and firewall totally turned off... so it can't be related to AV or firewall settings, it must be something else that happens. I don't know if it's related to Reality or not, but the fact that it appears only after a Reality re-install makes me suspicious!

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:34 am

/Sigstan

Kelderek

Postby Kelderek » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:18 pm

/Sigstan

Kelderek

Postby Kelderek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:42 pm

The version is 4.3.1.16203

Kelderek

Postby Kelderek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:11 am

Since Reality appears broken only when DS is running, I decided to re-install DS to eliminate any problems there.

I did the following:

- Uninstalled Reality
- Unistalled Daz Studio 4.9
- Run CCleaner to clean up the Windows registry
- Installed Daz Studio 4.9
- Installed Reality

No change... Reality is still broken, showing the weird startup screen that doesn't allow file names to be changed, not permitting render size to be changed atc.

Uninstalling DS can only be done with DAZ Install Manager and it appears that it re-installs from the same (already downloaded) files and applies the old user settings, which obviously are stored somewhere.
Is there a more complete way to uninstall and re-install DS that makes the installation totally new, from scratch?

Is there something else I can do to totally wipe my computer from both Reality and DS before I re-install them?

There must be something in either Reality and DS that causes this problem and it must be a way to remove that something from my PC and get a fresh and uncorrupted install.

clip.JPG

Gederix

Postby Gederix » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:45 am

Ive been reading your thread with morbid fascination, and am as perplexed as anyone, I am the type who cannot stop until whatever issue thats not working like it should on my computer is fixed, so this would have me pulling my hair out.
Obviously for some reason reality and daz are not communicating properly. It works, then it doesnt work, seems to be working, no actually now not working... it sounds like a software issue, it could be somehow related to your AV or firewall but you say even with them turned off the issue is unaffected. I am assuming you know what you are doing insofar as what you have protecting your machine, that you do not have a secondary av install from macafee or some such that often installs with 3rd party software if you dont notice to uncheck it (adobe flash for ex), that you know about the windows firewall and whatever internet security package you might have running, etc etc etc, and you are not using some third party AV crap that can cause more issues than it fixes.
So you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times with no help.
This would lead me to start looking at my own rig and what I have installed that could possible throwing a wrench in the system. Depending on your own habits and anyone elses who might have access to your rig, computers over time can acquire/accumulate some unwanted unpleasantness that lies low in the background and wreaks low level havoc.
So Id hunt for those.
Worth a shot to try the following, download each one at a time, run, see results, fix, move on to next.
Adwcleaner
Junkware removal tool
Malwarebytes
Hitman Pro

Alternatively, or if that doesnt help, you could just "go in with an axe" –– reformat, reinstall OS, start with a clean system, install daz and reality and see if that fixes things, because if it doesnt, well, that would be bad, a real headscratcher:) Assuming it does work, install the rest of your software, AV etc and verify nothing breaks as you go. Tedious, stressfull, even nervewracking, but when all else fails...
But thats me, as I say, I do not stop until my shit is fixed. Reality works. Daz works. Your issue is apparently specific to you. Therefore the problem is most likely on your end. Knowing that, you should focus there. My 2¢. Good luck because as I say, this would drive me nuts.

Return to “Troubleshooting”