generic presets and Reality 4.3

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
cmacks

generic presets and Reality 4.3

Postby cmacks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I switched to Reality 4.3 as soon as I could get my hands on it. :)
Haven't had too much time to play, but am wondering about the following. I didn't care for the generic v4 settings that came with the earlier version of Reality, so I tweaked them and saved my version as generic. This worked well for me. These settings seem to be gone now. Is that as expected (i.e, was the 4.3 installation supposed to overwrite these), and in that case, is there some easy way for me to recover my version?

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: generic presets and Reality 4.3

Postby pciccone » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:35 pm

The settings are not gone, any installation updates the database, it doesn't overwrite them. The old database is also renamed and saved, just in case.It has the name with the timestamp of the date of the installation. The generic V4 settings are not supposed to be tweaked. The reason why your configuration for that preset is gone is that there cannot be multiple presets for the exact same configuration, and the installation installs the presets that we ship.
--
Paolo

cmacks

Postby cmacks » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Thanks. Remind me where that db resides, and if it's human-readable :) I had changed some of the v4 defaults using the generic preset save because I was getting tired of making the same tweaks every time. For example, the V4 iris typically loads in Reality at glossiness of 9800 and specular of 062:062:062. The default causes iris "white out" on a regular basis when rendered (it also looks wrong in the preview, IMO). I changed it to 7400 and 015:015:015 (or so), and am much happier with the results. Same thing for several other surfaces.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:09 pm

The db is not human readable and it's in ~/Documents/Pret-a-3D/Reality/ACSEL.db

Cheers.
--
Paolo

cmacks

Postby cmacks » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:33 pm

Ok, I will redo my generic homebrew. :) Not sure why we are not supposed to tweak these settings... Along with the iris specularity, the lip bump almost always comes in way too high. So, I lower it way down and it looks much better in virtually all cases.

chagadiel

Postby chagadiel » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:09 am

Hi Cmacks

I have deleted all my v4 m4 presets and made my own which just does the the eyes and mouth only as a general preset and manuely do the skin every time.
There a re hundreds of skin characters and the preset does the same thing every time with a false bump map setting and no displacement loaded. Unless this has changed with 4.3. I m surprised i am the only one who has an a issue all this time.

cmacks

Postby cmacks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that this behavior can be attributed to the fact that before launching Reality, we typically loading materials using a poser .pz2 pose file and people do all sorts of crazy stuff in those MAT files. In fact, it is instructive to look at the surface settings and maps in detail before launching Reality.

Return to “Troubleshooting”