DAZ Studio Fatal Error on Startup with Reality Installed

Can't figure out how to solve an issue? Here is where to ask for help.
jbirchett

DAZ Studio Fatal Error on Startup with Reality Installed

Postby jbirchett » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 am

I saw a similar thread with no resolution, so I'm posting a new thread for this. I recently got back into DAZ/Reality right before my winter holiday break and I was having a great time re-learning and learning new stuff. Suddenly, DAZ Studio started crashing on startup. If I remove Reality, DAZ is fine. If I reinstall Reality, it crashes. If I keep the fatal error dialog up without clicking OK, I can still work in Studio unless I try to invoke Reality. Then I get a Reality crash. This is what I did right before the crashes started:
  • Moved my DAZ installer download folder to another drive.
  • Moved my DAZ Content library to another drive.
  • Installed the ZBrush trial
  • Installed the Keyshot trial
  • Installed the Intel CPU drivers for OpenCL

I've removed all of the newly installed software, uninstalled DAZ Studio, uninstalled Reality, and reinstalled a clean DAZ/Reality combo with no content. The error still persists. I can even get to the About Installed Plugins and disable Reality, but DAZ still crashes with the plugin disabled. At this point, I can only launch DAZ Studio if the Reality dll is gone from the plugins folder.

Here are the requested items:
  • Your DAZ Studio full version number: 4.10.0.123 Pro Edition
  • The full version of Reality, including all the four digit groups:4.3.1.16203 (I can't get to the about box and the executable/dll doesn't have version info)
  • The version of LuxRender that you use: bundled, 1.6.0 Build 16132
  • Whether or not you are using GPU acceleration: Not getting that far. Reality was recognizing my card and I was able to get it to work using the file edit method after installing Intel OpenCL, but now I can't get to Reality, so it's moot.
  • A screenshot of the Render | Output page of Reality: Can't get to Reality.
  • A screenshot of the Render | Scene Configuration page of Reality: Can't get to Reality.
  • Your OS (Mac OS or Windows) and the exact version. Specify if you are running a 32 or 64 bit OS: Windows 10 64-bit, 10.0.16299 Build 16299
  • What products you are using in the scene: Can't get to Reality.
  • If asking advice on materials provide screenshot of the material settings, including all the tabs (Alpha channel, Modifiers etc):N/A
    If there is an issue with the quality of the image rendered, then provide a small image:[b]N/A

Thank you.
Attachments
2018-01-03_23-47-17.png
2018-01-03_23-45-42.png

pciccone
Site Admin

Re: DAZ Studio Fatal Error on Startup with Reality Installed

Postby pciccone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:54 am

Hi.
Sorry for the inconvenience. This issue could be caused by either Av or Firewall software blocking Reality from making a connection. For this configuration to work both DAZ Studio and Reality must have unrestricted inbound/outbound Internet access. This is because Reality uses TCP/IP (Internet) connections to exchange information between Studio and itself.

Check your AV/Firewall configuration and modify them if they restrict any Internet traffic with both DAZ Studio and Reality.

Hope this helps.
--
Paolo

jbirchett

Postby jbirchett » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks! It's working now and it was definitely the Windows 10 firewall, but I don't know what was wrong. I had no rules blocking Reality. I enabled the Windows 10 firewall logging functionality for dropped packets and started DAZ over and over, but nothing ever showed up in the firewall log except UDP and multicast traffic, none of it sourced from my desktop. I disabled malwarebytes and that didn't do anything. I disabled Windows firewall and suddenly, DAZ Studio worked again. I enabled Windows firewall, determined to find the offending rule, but DAZ Studio kept working after I turned the firewall back on. It makes no sense, but maybe it will work for someone else who encounters this bizarre issue.

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Hey, t least you found the source of the issue. Now, commit that to memory in case this comes back after one of those delightful Windows updates ;)

Thank you for letting us know.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

jbirchett

Postby jbirchett » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm

After a reboot tonight, the error is back. I can only use DAZ Studio if the Reality plugin is gone from the plugin folder. I disabled Windows firewall and Malwarebytes, but the error won't go away. I guess it was something else. I tried various things to fix it tonight, but I'm shooting in the dark and I have no idea what to look for. Network access is unfettered. This is not even the first time I've rebooted since it started working again, so it could be something installed in reality (custom .rsbs from the forums?)

I'm done using up my weekend on this, so I'll come back to it again when I have some more time to kill. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Have you checked, if by any chance your AV has put some Reality files into quarantine? - Norton once pulled a stunt like that on my machine.

Otherwise it sounds really strange that Reality could go from working to producing a fatal error without any changes.
/Sigstan

jbirchett

Postby jbirchett » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah. I've completely reinstalled DAZ Studio and Reality, including cleaning out the registry. All of the files are in place. I've tried running DAZ through Windbg to see if I can see where it's failing. There is a gethttp executing when the crash happens, but there's nothing being blocked that I can find. I thought it might be my Internet firewall, so I used my phone to tether without any local firewall or AV running, but it still crashes. I also tried using wireshark to capture traffic, but I don't know what to look for, so that's a needle in a haystack. Whatever it is, it's during the initialization of the plugin. There is also some OpenCL stuff around the same time. I tried using rawcap to sniff traffic on the loopback adapter, but didn't see anything there, either. I think my "fix" is going to be a system reinstall. Until then, I'm just delting the Reality dll and using Iray. I've been playing with the LAMH catalyzer and some AM figures since I can't use luxrender right now anyway.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I would not consider doing a system re-install. I have never come across any problem with Reality that required this, at least not under Windows. The same actually applies to DAZ re-installs. If you have a fully working DAZ-installation before installing Reality, then any problems with Reality is more likely to have other causes.

Some of the major Windows updates will wipe the OpenCL drivers (I believe Windows 10 Fall Creators Update did this), so try installing the latest OpenCL drivers for your CPU-type, and also make sure you are using the latest GPU-drivers for your GFX card.

Only other reason I can think of would be, that you installed another DS-plugin that conflicts with Reality. There have been previous incidents of this, but it was a long time ago.
/Sigstan

jbirchett

Postby jbirchett » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am

I came back to post the latest update and saw your post, which was on point. I had decided to tackle the video drivers before doing a system reinstall, so I fired up Nvidia GeForce Experience to reinstall my current driver - and hopefully fix any OpenCL driver issues - and noticed there was a new driver on 1/8 that I had not yet installed. I installed the video driver, rebooted, and Reality is now working again. Hopefully, that was the issue. The only other plugin I have that's not DAZ is LAMH catalyzer and I had already tried removing that because I had the free player and the catalyzer and thought maybe they were conflicting and throwing the error down the stack.

If it stops working again on the next reboot, I'll assume there's a hidden flag in my CPU that toggles every reboot to mess with my mind.

Return to “Troubleshooting”