Textures getting lost (help please?)

Discussions on DAZ Studio techniques
alidar

Textures getting lost (help please?)

Postby alidar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Daz Studio 4.9 -> Reality 4.3.1 -> LuxRender 1.6
Windows 7 Pro

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but I'm praying someone has a solution (or at least a work around). In short, due to my having only 8Gb of RAM, I'm limited on size of scene I can play w/ w/out having to shut down D.S. in order to run L.R.

Sometimes, when I reload D.S. and Reality, any textures that are non-procedural (image maps for diffuse/bump/etc), while Reality will "remember" the file name (painting1.jpg, painting11.jpg, etc) Reality will "forget" WHERE the file is, and defaults to the root of my user login in windows.

I have found that I can go texture by texture and "re-point" everything to the correct location on the hard drive, but on a lot of scenes this get real tedious due to sheer number of texture "channels" to adjust.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a way to force Reality to find the files again? Or am I stuck?

alidar

Re: Textures getting lost (help please?)

Postby alidar » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Oh, I also tried using my own automatic presets and still the file path is getting lost, ugh...

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:22 pm

Never seen that happen before. Are you using the new cloud-enabled DS content stuff. Because that might behave funny.
/Sigstan

alidar

Postby alidar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Honestly I had not thought of that, I admit I like the ability to d/l directly into DS but you are right, the cloud d/l is into a different directory so that might impact things. I'll try erasing the cloud based items and re-download from scratch using the DiM instead, see if that works.

alidar

Postby alidar » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:52 am

Ok did full uninstall of all cloud content w/in daz studio, re-installed via DiM, and now things work again, thanks sigstan! I think I'm cured...lol

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:44 am

alidar wrote:Ok did full uninstall of all cloud content w/in daz studio, re-installed via DiM, and now things work again, thanks sigstan! I think I'm cured...lol

Unbelievable that it has so such impact and clever thinking Sigstan.
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

SamWM

Postby SamWM » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm

I've had the same problem with cloud content, could that be worked around in a Reality update? I have a couple of cloud only products that will not work in Reality since they can't be installed via DIM. Does it assume the base folder the content is in is the default one set in DAZ/DIM and store the locations to the files as relative paths?

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:26 pm

SamWM wrote:I've had the same problem with cloud content, could that be worked around in a Reality update? I have a couple of cloud only products that will not work in Reality since they can't be installed via DIM. Does it assume the base folder the content is in is the default one set in DAZ/DIM and store the locations to the files as relative paths?

That would require Paolo to do some rewriting in Reality. I don't know his plans on this.

Possibly if you tick "Enable texture collection" and select original size on the Texture collection tab, then it might actually collect all the files and thus allow Luxrender to use them. But I have never tried this with cloud content, so not sure if it works.

@alidar
Sorry lost track of this thread. Good to know you found a solution.
/Sigstan

Return to “DAZ Studio”