What kind of models does Lux prefer?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
TrekkieGrrrl

Re: What kind of models does Lux prefer?

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sun May 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Hm. This is the third time I write this reply and it keeps .. disappearing into thin air when I click Post. ?!

Aaaaanyway. I got it solved. once I realised it was only on low-poly box-like models I was having this problem, the solution dawned on me. So enter UV Mapper Pro, and a simple Split Vertices. And hey presto: No more weird shadows.

So it was some weird smoothing going on and not the normals at all. They were, just as I expected, perfectly ... normal *L*

And I've tried Blender. Admittedly years ago. Originally, I started modeling in 3D Studio Max many many years ago (almost 15 O.o) and thus gave Blender a chance, hoping it would be a little like Max. Alas, it both was, and was not. I had trouble even making a simple cube in Blender XD

So I will stick to Hexagon, which I like and which can do what I want it to without a lot of bells and whistles to confuse me. And don't discount Hexagon - it is capable of a lot - also a lot more than me.

I use a suite of programs, some very old, some newer. I'm used to using them together (or was, I am after all clawing my way into the whole 3D workld after a 3 year absence) but thing is, they work, and I know HOW they work *L* With Hexagon,modeling is fun and I prefer to keep it that way.

But I'm not saying I'll never give Blender qnother try. Just ... not right now I guess :)

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Glad to hear you solved your problem. I don't use UV Mapper Pro but heard only good thing about it. What is the 'Split Vertices' supposed to do exactly?

As a note, Blender interface has been revamped so next time you jump in you might not be overwhelmed as much... and funny you should say, I also could'nt make a cube in Blender before so here you go LOL! I'm also a (old :)) 3dsmax user since version 1 but now I use Blender exclusively.

Cheers,
Lyne
:D

TrekkieGrrrl

Postby TrekkieGrrrl » Sun May 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Split vertices does exactly what it says on the tin. Doubles them, so you avoid the balloning effect that Firefly was plagued with at the beginning (and still can be if you're unlucky)
It does double the vertice count of course, but in a model with so few as this, it's not an issue, and it did solve the problem :)

And just to show that it did indeed help, here's a Lux-render of the thing now, with a little bit of props I made while I rendered it a few times as a test *G*
Attachments
BookcaseDone.png
There. No shadows :)

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Nice!
Lyne

pciccone
Site Admin

Postby pciccone » Sun May 15, 2016 9:28 pm

Glad that you found the issue.

Cheers.
--
Paolo

RLSprouse

Postby RLSprouse » Fri May 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Wow, that bass looks awesome, Lyne. I am impressed. I would *love* to be able to do something like that.

~ Russ

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 pm

RLSprouse,
Look at this Blender tutorial for beginners.}

When you follow it, you get this.
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (7.05 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Fram1963

Postby Fram1963 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:09 pm

Lyne

RLSprouse

Postby RLSprouse » Fri May 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Thanks to both of you. That looks like a great tutorial. I think my problem is lack of focus, I have a hard time sticking with one thing long enough to get good at it. I have been diagnosed with mild ADHD, so that's my excuse. :mrgreen:

Return to “General”