Looking for help

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
Marcel2586

Re: Looking for help

Postby Marcel2586 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:50 pm

If you make a 3D cube and drill a hole through it, you use a boolean operation. see the boolean as your bore.
In your 3D modeler it looks all oke. your cube will show a a square with a round hole in it and a diagonal stripe from the left corner of the square hitting the circle. Al seems well, until you export it as obj to daz or studio. These programs will not punish you for the boolean operation. render it in iray or whatever and it will work. But luxrender will say "no way". But if you triangulate all, luxrender will render. Remember, the more boolean operations the chances grow that luxrender refuses to render it properly. And then you have no standard to calculate a boolean operation. Lightwave use different calculations than let's say Maya, Blender or 3Ds Max.
If i mis something or made a mistake, please fill me in "Sigstan, Fuzzy, Fram"
this would be funny if it weren't happening to me :shock:

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:25 am

reality_scene.png

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:30 am

Solved the problem. you can download it from your dropbox account.

Kimberly58

Postby Kimberly58 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 am

Thank you Marcel! You are the best!

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm

No problem at all, let me know if there are problems.

sigstan

Postby sigstan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:37 pm

/Sigstan

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:06 pm

May have been me Marcel with regards to the PM you sent me with your Sewer prop. Essentially for everyone else what I said is Booleans are best avoided at all costs as they can make a mess of things (geometry wise), especially if the object is exported and used elsewhere.

As an example, in Marcel's case the object was a cylinder with a cube used as a boolean to cut into the cylinder making a square hole in it. While the result gave what was expected the resulting geometry was far from clean and neat which can cause issues further down the line such as UV mapping issues plus geometry issues in other apps.

The cleaner approach was to create extra edges around the cylinder where the hole should be (the knife tool in Cinema 4d but all modelling apps have their own version) then remove the faces and extrude the hole upwards. A few pics would explain it far better than I could put into words but am not at my PC or even remotely near my home lol.

So general rule is to avoid Booleans if you can, it may take more work initially but can save you a lot of time later on fixing the result the boolean made.

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

Marcel2586

Postby Marcel2586 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:35 am

Thanks Fuzzy! i dropped it completely as i made a to big mess of it.

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:00 am

That's a shame Marcel as was coming along well, still hopefully you learnt a few things during the process and I for one have learn't more from my mistakes over the years :)

Regards

Lee
Windows 10 x64, Daz Studio 4.9 x64, Poser Pro 11 & whatever the current version of Reality is :lol:

fuzzy70

Postby fuzzy70 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 am

I've managed to use my mates PC to illustrate what I meant before.

The 1st pic is before any operations, basically a cube and a cylinder. Essentially what we want to do is cut a square hole in the cylinder to make a exit or vent of some sort.
1.jpg

This is the result after the Boolean, as you can see from the areas highlighted we have extra geometry added and the result does not look clean and could cause problems later on (possible overlapping polys, UV issues etc). Also we have had to still use the original cube after the Boolean cut to make the vent visible so now have 2 objects rather than one (which may be desired in some cases) which means more work connecting them to make one object.
2.jpg

The 3rd pic I have highlighted where I have added 2 loops adding geometry to the cylinder, then I removed the faces where I wanted the hole to be, selected the hole and extruded it upwards. The result is nice and clean which will subdivide without issues, have no UV issues or problems being triangulated.
3.jpg

Hopes this helps others understand what can cause issues & may help people who are new to 3D modelling avoid possible issues, may even help people who can model rethink their strategy :lol:

Quick thanks to Mark for letting steal use of his PC for 5mins to do this 8-)

Regards

Lee

Return to “General”