Is Luxrender gone?

Here we discuss topics that are common for all versions of Reality, without distinction of platform or host
TransformerMan

Re: Is Luxrender gone?

Postby TransformerMan » Mon May 28, 2018 6:48 pm

sigstan wrote:
TransformerMan wrote:Does anyone know if the 1.x releases are still available somewhere? Or does the latest Reality release contain the very latest LuxRender 1.x release?

I think that the Luxrender version included in Reality was the last ver. 1.x released by the Luxrender team.

I actually found an informal google drive link in a forum post to a version the poster called "1.7", but when started called itself 1.6, but with a slightly higher build number than the regular 1.6 release that Reality ships. I haven't yet tried it out to see if it can do GPU + Boost without crashing the system...

thatguy3444

Postby thatguy3444 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:46 pm

I was just working with the new luxcorerender, and wanted to post some tips anyone who wants to try it:

1) You can download it from the new address - https://luxcorerender.org/

2) Luxcorerender should be able to render the old luxrender scenes (.lxs files) that reality produces

3) EXCEPT THERE IS CURRENTLY A BUG that throws an error when trying to load most scenes that use emission textures (e.g. reality meshlights). I have submitted a patch for this bug, but it probably won't be in until the next release - until then, you will probably get an error message about a bad IES definition. You are not doing anything wrong, you just have to wait till they publish the version with my patch.

4) The current stand-alone UI (luxcoreui) is really for development purposes and is pretty hard to use - it sounds like they are going to put together a more user friendly stand alone render app like luxrender had; however, I don't know when this is scheduled.

5) If you are trying to open a getting an error that says something like "PATHOCL missing," it's probably because you didn't download the OpenCL (GPU accelerated) version of luxcorerender. (There also might be a bug that always starts lxs files up using the PATHOCL renderer, I'm not a developer on the project, but I'll look when I get more time.)

6) Luxcorerender should be much faster than old luxrender

7) If you want pretty caustics with luxcorerender, you need to use the BIDIRCPU rendering engine - GPU acceleration doesn't support a bidirectional renderer

To try it out:

1) Download the OpenCL version from https://luxcorerender.org/
2) Open the standalone UI (luxcoreui)
3) Go to Rendering->Load and select a lxs file created by reality
4) It should render*

* EXCEPT FOR THE BUG NOTED ABOVE - it will actually probably give you an error about light IES not defined. I have submitted a patch for this, and it should hopefully be fixed in the next version they release.

TransformerMan

Postby TransformerMan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm

thatguy3444 wrote:3) EXCEPT THERE IS CURRENTLY A BUG

Thanks for this info! :)

You don't happen to have a link to the patch? Should I ever manage to build luxcore on my own. I did some attempts recently..

-TM

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the patch. Gonna make another attempt at getting it to build... :)

TransformerMan

Postby TransformerMan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Well, I finally got it to build. It turned out to be easier when you find the WindowsCompile and WindowsCompileDeps repos.. :)

.. and then I got another LXS parse failure. Got past it by turning off SSS on all Skin textures in Reality.
.. and then I got another LXS parse failure. Got past it by turning off all "Custom Metal" materials in Reality.
.. and then it just locked up completely. Got past it by turning off "texture collection" in Reality.

.. and then it worked. :)

All the changes means the results are quite different from what I get with LuxRender 1.6.x. Perhaps its a bit faster, but it's hard to tell when I can't find a way to get a higher resolution than 640x480 without it locking up, but well.. progress. :P

thatguy3444

Postby thatguy3444 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Yeah, it's definitely still a work in progress, and I don't know if they actually tested the LXS backward compatibility at all. I was hoping to submit some more bug fixes, but I don't think I am going to have time.

Glad you got it (somewhat) working though! Hopefully preta3d will release an integration for their new file-type (which in their defense does look like a huge improvement over the LXS files)

Return to “General”